Explaining growth rate differences in highly indebted countries: an extension to Thirlwall and Hussain
AbstractIn recent years, growth rate differences have increased and have elicited numerous explanations. Among the most controversial interpretations is that postulated by Thirlwall (1979) and later extended by Thirlwall and Hussain (1982), both papers arguing that growth rate differences are best explained by demand constraints found in the balance of payments. Although the inclusion of capital flows by Thirlwall and Hussain (1982) is widely viewed as an improvement in the original model, still we believe the model to be less than complete because it omitted the effect of debt servicing. Extending the model to include the effect of debt servicing, this paper improves the predictability of the original model as it brought the actual growth rates closer to the predicted growth rates for most of the countries used in the previous research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arevilca Vasquez, Bismarck Javier & Risso Charquero, Adrian Winston, 2007.
"Balance of payments constrained growth model: evidence for Bolivia 1953-2002,"
5645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arevilca Vasquez, Bismarck Javier & Risso Charquero, Adrian Winston, 2007. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Model: Evidence for Bolivia 1953-2002," MPRA Paper 5685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eduardo Loría, 2001. "La restricción externa dinámica al crecimiento de México a través de las propensiones del comercio, 1970-1999," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 16(2), pages 227-251.
- Gökçe, Atilla & Çankal, Erhan, 2013. "Balance-of-payments constrained growth model for the Turkish economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 140-144.
- Ricardo Azevedo Araujo & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2006.
"A Structural Economic Dynamics Approach To Balance-Of-Payments-Constrained Growth,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
119, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Ricardo Azevedo Araujo & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2007. "A structural economic dynamics approach to balance-of-payments-constrained growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(5), pages 755-774, September.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview,"
Studies in Economics
1111, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
- Riera Prunera, Maria Carmen, 2000. "A Role For Deficit In Economic Growth," ERSA conference papers ersa00p335, European Regional Science Association.
- Nureldin Hussain & Bernard Gunter, 2005. "Working Paper 75 - External Shocks and the HIPC Initiative: Impacts on Growth and Poverty in Africa," Working Paper Series 210, African Development Bank.
- Thilak Ranaweera, 2004. "Ghost of the financing gap: an overlooked aspect of the aid debate," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 637-652.
- Alex Luiz Ferreira, 2007. "On the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Constraints to the Real Side of the Economy," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 43-54.
- Parikh, Ashok & Stirbu, Corneliu, 2004. "Relationship between Trade Liberalisation, Economic Growth and Trade Balance : An Econometric Investigation," HWWA Discussion Papers 282, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.