Capital Flows, Interest Payments and the Balance-of-Payments Constrained Growth Model: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis
AbstractThe analytical framework known as the balance-of-payments constrained growth model introduced by Anthony P. Thirlwall more than two decades ago, and further developed by him and N. Hussain, was a major contribution to understanding the relevance of a foreign exchange constraint on the long-run growth performance of open economies. In its simplest expression this model is known as Thirlwall's law. Recent contributions have revised this analytical model in order to ensure that the pattern of foreign debt accumulation, implicit in the economy's balance-of-payments constrained growth path, is sustainable. Up to now most theoretical presentations of Thirlwall's law do not incorporate interest payments explicitly and, moreover, the empirical studies carried out within this tradition do not take them into account. This omission may be a major shortcoming in the analysis of the long-term growth path of economies-like many developing ones-whose net interest payments abroad are a large debit item in the current account of their balance of payments. In the present paper we introduce an extension of the balance-of-payments constrained growth model that explicitly captures the influence on foreign interest payments of the economy's long-run rate of growth-while at the same time guaranteeing that foreign indebtedness is not on an explosive track-and test its empirical adequacy by applying it to examine the Mexican case. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Metroeconomica.
Volume (Year): 54 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0026-1386
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- João Prates Romero & Fabrício Silveira & Gustavo Britto, 2011. "Structural change, National Innovation System and balance-of-payments contraint: a theoretical and empirical analysis of the Brazilian case," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG 440, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Cimoli, Mario & Porcile, Gabriel, 2011.
"Technology, structural change and BOP constrained growth: A structuralist toolbox,"
33800, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mario Cimoli & Gabriel Porcile, 2011. "Technology, structural change and BOP constrained growth: a structuralist toolbox," Working Papers 0120, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Mario Cimoli & Gabriel Porcile, 2011.
"Tecnología, heterogeneidad y crecimiento: un caja de herramientas estructuralista,"
0119, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Cimoli, Mario & Porcile, Gabriel, 2011.
"Tecnologia, heterogeneidad y crecimiento: una caja de herramientas estructuralista
[Technology, heterogeneity and Growth: A Structuralist Toolbox]," MPRA Paper 33801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cimoli, Mario & Porcile, Gabriel, 2011. "Tecnologia, heterogeneidad y crecimiento: una caja de herramientas estructuralista
- Marcos Tostes Lamonica & Carmem Aparecida Feijo, 2007. "Crescimento E Industrialização No Brasil: As Lições Das Leis De Kaldor," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 053, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview," Studies in Economics 1111, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Soukiazis, Elias & Cerqueira, Pedro A. & Antunes, Micaela, 2012. "Modelling economic growth with internal and external imbalances: Empirical evidence from Portugal," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 478-486.
- Eva Yamila da Silva Catela & Gabriel Porcile, 2012.
"Keynesian and Schumpeterian efficiency in a BOP-constrained growth model,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 34(4), pages 777-802, July.
- Eva Catela & Gabriel Porcile, 2010. "Keynesian and schumpeterian efficiency in a BOP-constrained growth model," Working Papers 0104, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.