Balance-of-payments-constrained growth model: the case of India
AbstractThis study applies the balance-of-payments-constrained growth (BPCG) model to India, a large developing country with a relatively low trade to gross domestic product ratio. Rather than assuming similar elasticities of substitution between goods produced in different regions, the study extends the model to relax these assumptions. Johansen's cointegration technique is employed to estimate trade parameters. Short-run adjustments are explored within a vector error correction framework. The average growth rates predicted by various forms of the BPCG hypothesis are found to be close to the actual average growth rate over the 1950-99 period, although individual decades display substantial deviations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Journal of Post Keynesian Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=109348
balance-of-payments�constraints; intra�developing country competition; import compression; real exchange rates; trade equations;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blecker, Robert A. & Ibarra, Carlos A., 2013.
"Trade liberalization and the balance of payments constraint with intermediate imports: The case of Mexico revisited,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 33-47.
- Robert A. Blecker & Carlos A. Ibarra, 2013. "Trade liberalization and the balance of payments constraint with intermediate imports: the case of Mexico revisited," Working Papers 2013-02, American University, Department of Economics.
- Robert A. Blecker, 2009. "Long-Run Growth in Open Economies: Export-Led Cumulative Causation or a Balance-of-Payments Constraint?," Working Papers 2009-23, American University, Department of Economics.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview,"
Studies in Economics
1111, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2012. "Balance-of-Payments Constrained Growth: the Case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 41791, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Theodore Panagiotidis & Mark J. Holmes & Abhijit Sharma, 2007. "The Sustainability of India's current account (1950-2003): Evidence from parametric and non-parametric unit root and cointegration tests," Working Paper Series 41-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.