Balance-of-payments-constrained growth model: the case of India
AbstractThis study applies the balance-of-payments-constrained growth (BPCG) model to India, a large developing country with a relatively low trade to gross domestic product ratio. Rather than assuming similar elasticities of substitution between goods produced in different regions, the study extends the model to relax these assumptions. Johansen's cointegration technique is employed to estimate trade parameters. Short-run adjustments are explored within a vector error correction framework. The average growth rates predicted by various forms of the BPCG hypothesis are found to be close to the actual average growth rate over the 1950-99 period, although individual decades display substantial deviations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Journal of Post Keynesian Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=109348
balance-of-payments�constraints; intra�developing country competition; import compression; real exchange rates; trade equations;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdelhak Senhadji, 1998. "Time-Series Estimation of Structural Import Demand Equations: A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 236-268, June.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Antonio Spilimbergo & Athanasios Vamvakidis, 2000.
"Real Effective Exchange Rate and the Constant Elasticity of Substitution Assumption,"
IMF Working Papers
00/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Spilimbergo, Antonio & Vamvakidis, Athanasios, 2003. "Real effective exchange rate and the constant elasticity of substitution assumption," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 337-354, August.
- Muscatelli, V. A. & Stevenson, A. A. & Montagna, C., 1994. "Intra-NIE competition in exports of manufactures," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 29-47, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- John S. L. McCombie, 1997. "On the Empirics of Balance-of-Payments-Constrained Growth," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(3), pages 345-375, April.
- Luis B�Rtola & Hermes Higachi & Gabriel Porcile, 2002. "Balance-of-payments-constrained growth in Brazil: a test of Thirlwall's Law, 1890-1973," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 123-140, January.
- M. Ansari & N. Hashemzadeh & Y. Xi, 2000. "The Chronicle of Economic Growth in Southeast Asian Countries: Does Thirlwall's Law Provide an Adequate Explanation?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 22(4), pages 573-588, July.
- Jonathan Perraton, 2003. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth and Developing Countries: An examination of Thirlwall's hypothesis," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 1-22.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- Rittenberg, Libby, 1986. "Export growth performance of less-developed countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 167-177, November.
- Theodore Panagiotidis & Mark J. Holmes & Abhijit Sharma, 2007. "The Sustainability of India's current account (1950-2003): Evidence from parametric and non-parametric unit root and cointegration tests," Working Paper Series 41-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2012. "Balance-of-Payments Constrained Growth: the Case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 41791, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Blecker, 2014. "Structural Change, the Real Exchange Rate, and the Balance of Payments in Mexico, 1960-2012," Working Papers 2014-01, American University, Department of Economics.
- Robert A. Blecker, 2009. "Long-Run Growth in Open Economies: Export-Led Cumulative Causation or a Balance-of-Payments Constraint?," Working Papers 2009-23, American University, Department of Economics.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview," Studies in Economics 1111, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Blecker, Robert A. & Ibarra, Carlos A., 2013.
"Trade liberalization and the balance of payments constraint with intermediate imports: The case of Mexico revisited,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 33-47.
- Robert A. Blecker & Carlos A. Ibarra, 2013. "Trade liberalization and the balance of payments constraint with intermediate imports: the case of Mexico revisited," Working Papers 2013-02, American University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.