Estimating Income and Price Elasticities of Trade in a Cointegration Framework
AbstractThis paper presents further evidence on the empirical regularity known as the "45-degree rule." Income and price elasticities of trade are estimated for 21 countries in a cointegration framework. More specifically, the autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) modeling approach and the DOLS procedure are adopted to estimate the long-run structure. The empirical results confirm the existence of a systematic relationship between growth rates and income elasticity estimates: faster growing economies have high-income elasticities of demand for their exports but lower import elasticities, which implies that faster growth can be observed without any marked secular trend in real exchange rates. Copyright 1999 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Montobbio, Fabio & Rampa, Francesco, 2005.
"The impact of technology and structural change on export performance in nine developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 527-547, April.
- Montobbio Fabio & Rampa Francesco, 2002. "The impact of technology and structural change on export performance on nine developing coutries," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0219, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- M. Shahe Emran & Forhad Shilpi, 2001. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Import Demand Function: Evidence from Sri Lanka," International Trade 0012002, EconWPA, revised 04 Apr 2002.
- Bustamante, Rafael & Morales, Fedor, 2009. "Probando la condición de Marshall-Lerner y el efecto Curva-J: Evidencia empírica para el caso peruano," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 16, pages 103-126.
- Barbara Dluhosch & Daniel Horgos, 2008. "Wage vs. industry subsidies: coping with technology related unemployment in a globalized economy," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 371-388, December.
- Heajin Ryoo & Robert Dekle, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Fluctuations, Financing Constraints, Hedging, and Exports: Evidence from Firm Level Data,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
20, Econometric Society.
- Dekle, Robert & Ryoo, Heajin H., 2007. "Exchange rate fluctuations, financing constraints, hedging, and exports: Evidence from firm level data," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 437-451, December.
- Dekle, Robert & Ryoo, Heajin, 2003. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations, Financing Constraints, Hedging, and Exports: Evidence from Firm Level Data," CEI Working Paper Series 2003-13, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Bernardina Algieri, 2011. "Modelling export equations using an unobserved component model: the case of the Euro Area and its competitors," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 593-637, December.
- Rashid, Abdul & Razzaq, Tayyaba, 2010. "Estimating Import-Demand Function in ARDL Framework: The Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 23702, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Bolhassani, Marzieh & Hegerty, Scott W., 2010. "The effects of currency fluctuations and trade integration on industry trade between Canada and Mexico," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 212-223, December.
- Christiane Nickel & Katja Funke, 2006. "Does Fiscal Policy Matter for the Trade Account? A Panel Cointegration Study," IMF Working Papers 06/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Claudio Paiva, 2003. "Trade Elasticities and Market Expectations in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 03/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Orhan Kara, 2003. "Relative Responsiveness of Trade Flows to a Change in Prices and Exchange Rate," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 293-308.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana & Robert Mudida, 2012. "Testing the Marshall-Lerner Condition in Kenya," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1247, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Abdul Rashid & Tayyaba Razzaq, 2013. "An Estimation of Structural Import Demand Function for Pakistan," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 2, pages 156-175.
- Sanidas, Elias & Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu, 2006. "The Consequences of Trade Liberalisation on the Australian Passenger Motor Vehicle Industry," Economics Working Papers wp06-01, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Masahiro Hori & Yu Ching Wong, 2008. "Efficiency Costs of Myanmarâ€™s Multiple Exchange Rate Regime," IMF Working Papers 08/199, International Monetary Fund.
- Olugbenga Onafowora, 2003. "Exchange rate and trade balance in east asia: is there a J-curve?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(18), pages 1-13.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Marzieh Bolhasani, 2011. "How Sensitive is U.S.-Canadian Trade to the Exchange Rate: Evidence from Industry Data," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 53-91, February.
- Vesselin Hadjiev, 2001. "Econometric Evaluation of the Elasticity of the Foreign Trade through Bi-Spectral Analysis," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 2, pages 150-167.
- Funke, Katja & Nickel, Christiane, 2006. "Does fiscal policy matter for the trade account? A panel cointegration study," Working Paper Series 0620, European Central Bank.
- Rashid, Abdul & Razzaq, Tayyaba, 2010. "Estimating Import-Demand Function in ARDL Framework: The Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 26079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tang, Chor Foon, 2008. "A re-examination of the role of foreign direct investment and exports in Malaysia's economic growth," MPRA Paper 38536, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.