Strategic Divisionalization, Product Differentiation and International Competition
AbstractIn this note we construct a simple international differentiated duopoly model that involves a divisionalization decision. It will be shown that the number of third market divisions of a parent firm with a cost advantage is relatively large. The results imply that the cost competitiveness of one country’s firm will be magnified through divisionalization decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5120.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
divisionalization; product differentiation; cost competitiveness;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-10-06 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2007-10-06 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2007-10-06 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-MIC-2007-10-06 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brander, James A., 1995.
"Strategic trade policy,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1395-1455
- Baye, Michael R & Crocker, Keith J & Ju, Jiandong, 1996. "Divisionalization, Franchising, and Divestiture Incentives in Oligopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 223-36, March.
- Amiti, Mary & Wakelin, Katharine, 2002.
"Investment Liberalization and International Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Ziss, Steffen, 1998. "Divisionalization and product differentiation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 133-138, April.
- Corchón, Luis C., .
"Oligopolistic competition among groups,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/4205, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Corchón, Luis C., . "Oligopolistic Competition Among Groups," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4335, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Luis Corchón, 1991. "Oligopolistic Competition Among Groups," Working Papers. Serie AD 1991-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Collie, David & de Meza, David, 2003. "Comparative advantage and the pursuit of strategic trade policy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 279-283, November.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Baye, Michael R. & Crocker, Keith J. & Ju, Jiandong, 1996. "Divisionalization and franchising incentives with integral competing units," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 429-435, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.