Poverty, Inequality and Trade Facilitation in Low and Middle Income Countries
AbstractAlthough there are numerous empirical studies on the effect of trade facilitation on international trade and GDP, there have been no studies on the association between trade facilitation and poverty as well as inequality. This paper examines this association in low and middle income countries using GMM-type instruments for trade facilitation. It is found that trade facilitation which is measured by the number of documents and the time for exports and imports is strongly correlated with poverty, inequality and per capita GDP. Countries with more improvement in trade facilitation are more likely to have lower poverty and inequality, and higher per capita GDP than other countries with less improvement in trade facilitation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50312.
Date of creation: 15 Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Trade facilitation; poverty; inequality; international trade; developing countries.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2013-10-05 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2013-10-05 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Terrie Walmsley & Ken Itakura, 2001.
"Dynamic Effects of the "New Age" Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore,"
GTAP Working Papers
823, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- W. Hertel, Thomas, 2001. "Dynamic Effects of the “New Age” Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 446-484.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Maria Persson, 2013.
"Trade facilitation and the extensive margin,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 658-693, August.
- Michael Engman, 2005. "The Economic Impact of Trade Facilitation," OECD Trade Policy Papers 21, OECD Publishing.
- Tomasz Iwanow & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2007. "Trade facilitation, regulatory quality and export performance," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(6), pages 735-753.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov & Caroline Freund & Cong S. Pham, 2010.
"Trading on Time,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 166-173, February.
- Susanna Kinnman & Magnus Lodefalk, 2007. "What is at Stake in the Doha Round?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(8), pages 1305-1325, 08.
- Yann Duval, 2008.
"Trade Facilitation beyond the Doha round of negotiations,"
STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT,
in: Trade Facilitation Beyond the Multilateral Trade Negotiations: Regional Practices, Customs, Valuation and Other Emerging Issues, pages 1-25
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Yann Duval, 2007. "Trade Facilitation beyond the Doha Round of Negotiations," Working Papers 5007, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Levinsohn, James, 1999. "Employment responses to international liberalization in Chile," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 321-344, April.
- Milner, Chris & Wright, Peter, 1998. "Modelling Labour Market Adjustment to Trade Liberalisation in an Industrialising Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 509-28, March.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira & Sheila Najberg, 2000. "Trade liberalisation in Brazil: Creating or exporting jobs?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 78-99.
- Revenga, Ana, 1997. "Employment and Wage Effects of Trade Liberalization: The Case of Mexican Manufacturing," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages S20-43, July.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Laura Márquez-Ramos, 2007.
"The Effect of Trade Facilitation on Sectoral Trade,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
167, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Martinez-Zarzoso Inma & Márquez-Ramos Laura, 2008. "The Effect of Trade Facilitation on Sectoral Trade," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-46, September.
- Yann Duval & Chorthip Utoktham, 2011. "Trade costs in the India-Mekong Subregion: Identifying Policy Priorities for Trade Facilitation," Working Paper Series 411, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Azim M. Sadikov, 2007. "Border and Behind-The-Border Trade Barriers and Country Exports," IMF Working Papers 07/292, International Monetary Fund.
- Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås & Enrico Pinali & Massimo Geloso Grosso, 2006. "Logistics and Time as a Trade Barrier," OECD Trade Policy Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- L. Alan Winters & Neil McCulloch & Andrew McKay, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and Poverty: The Evidence So Far," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(1), pages 72-115, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.