Cycles and Crises in a Model of Debt-financed Investment-led Growth
AbstractThe paper demonstrates possibilities of both convergence to the steady state and emergence of stable growth cycles around it in a simple macrodynamic model of debt-financed investment-led growth. The growth cycles are robust and are generated endogenously, either due to the existence of a supercritical Andronov-Hopf bifurcation, or due to the global stability condition through an application of the Poincaré-Bendixson theorem. The emergence of multiple limit cycles is also observed under certain conditions. The possibility of a deterioration of financial variables during a boom, with the resulting financial crisis providing an endogenous ceiling to a business cycle is examined in this context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50200.
Date of creation: 12 Dec 2012
Date of revision: 12 Dec 2012
Growth cycles; Financial crisis; Fisher; Minsky; Andronov-Hopf bifurcation; Limit cycles.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C69 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Other
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1992. "Asymmetric Information in Credit Markets and Its Implications for Macro-economics," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 694-724, October.
- Antonio J.A. Meirelles & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2006.
"Debt, financial fragility, and economic growth: a Post Keynesian macromodel,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(1), pages 93-115, October.
- Antonio J. A. Meirelles & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2004. "Debt, Financial Fragility And Economic Growth: A Post-Keynesian Macromodel," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 094, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Gilberto Tadeu Lima & Antonio J. A. Meirelles, 2007.
"Macrodynamics of debt regimes, financial instability and growth,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 31(4), pages 563-580, July.
- Gilberto Tadeu Lima & Antonio J. A. Meirelles, 2004. "A Macrodynamics Of Debt Regimes, Financial Instability And Growth," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 074, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Fazzari, Steven & Ferri, Piero & Greenberg, Edward, 2008. "Cash flow, investment, and Keynes-Minsky cycles," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(3-4), pages 555-572, March.
- Vercelli, Alessandro, 2000. "Structural financial instability and cyclical fluctuations," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 139-156, July.
- Foley, Duncan K., 1987. "Liquidity-profit rate cycles in a capitalist economy," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 363-376, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1983. "Incentive Effects of Terminations: Applications to the Credit and Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 912-27, December.
- Sébastien Charles, 2008. "Corporate debt, variable retention rate and the appearance of financial fragility," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(5), pages 781-795, September.
- Mark Setterfield, 2004. "Financial fragility, effective demand and the business cycle," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 207-223.
- Jaffee, Dwight M & Russell, Thomas, 1976. "Imperfect Information, Uncertainty, and Credit Rationing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 651-66, November.
- Thomas I. Palley, 1994. "Debt, Aggregate Demand, and the Business Cycle: An Analysis in the Spirit of Kaldor and Minsky," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 16(3), pages 371-390, April.
- Edward A. Downe, 1987. "Minsky's Model of Financial Fragility: A Suggested Addition," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 9(3), pages 440-454, April.
- Steve Keen, 1995. "Finance and Economic Breakdown: Modeling Minsky's "Financial Instability Hypothesis"," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 17(4), pages 607-635, July.
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
- Semmler, Willi, 1987. "A macroeconomic limit cycle with financial perturbations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 469-495, September.
- Soumya Datta, 2005. "Chaotic Dynamics Of Financing Investment," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 58-84, 02.
- Datta, Soumya, 2013. "Robustness and Stability of Limit Cycles in a Class of Planar Dynamical Systems," MPRA Paper 50814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Datta, Soumya, 2013. "Convergence, cycles and complex dynamics of financing investment," MPRA Paper 52111, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Dec 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.