Macroeconomic Determinants of Direct Investment Abroad of Singapore
AbstractThe objective of this study is to discover the determinants of Direct Investment Abroad (DIA) of Singapore. It also measures the impacts of various determinants on the DIA of Singapore. Based on theoretical justification, several potential determinants including aggregate income, interest rate, trade openness and exchange rate are considered in this study. Results obtained reveals that higher aggregate income will contribute to the expansion of abroad investment of Singaporean firms. Meanwhile, the increase (decrease) of DIA of Singapore is significantly related to the appreciation (depreciation) of the Singapore dollar per US dollar exchange rate in the long run. This finding is in tandem with the literature that suggests that appreciation of the home currency tends to increase the volume of abroad investment activities. Meanwhile, the current study finds the existence of inverse relationship between interest rate and DIA of Singapore in the long run. This finding is consistent with the argument that lower interest rate reflects the abundance of capital in Singapore and subsequently lowers the opportunity cost in seeking capital for DIA. In other words, these firms have competitive advantage in financing foreign investment due to lower cost of borrowing in home country. Nevertheless, trade openness of Singapore exhibits inverse linkage towards the DIA of Singapore in the long run. This may due to the substitution effect of the trade activities against the DIA of Singapore, as explained in the text. It is also discovered that exchange rate and aggregate income have larger influence on the DIA of Singapore, compared to other determinants. It is argued that the association of the ownership, location and internationalization advantages gained by Singapore has contributed to the economic development path of the country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47243.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision: 2013
Publication status: Published in Engineering Economics 1.25(2014): pp. 72-81
Direct Investment Abroad; Economic Growth; Trade Openness; VECM; Singapore;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Ellingsen, Gaute & Likumahuwa, Winfried & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2006. "Outward FDI by Singapore : a different animal?," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3947, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-22, March.
- Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1998. "Exchange Rate Effects on the Relationship between FDI and Trade in the U.S. Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1073-1079.
- Chew-Ging Lee, 2009. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Evidence from Japan and Singapore," NUBS Malaysia Campus Research Paper Series 2009-02, Nottingham University Business School Malaysia Campus.
- Kalotay, Kalman & Sulstarova, Astrit, 2010. "Modelling Russian outward FDI," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 131-142, June.
- Chin-Hong Puah & Albert Apoi & Jerome Swee-Hui Kueh, 2008. "Outward FDI of Malaysia: An Empirical Examination from Macroeconomic Perspective," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(28), pages 1-11.
- Kueh, Jerome Swee-Hui & Puah, Chin-Hong & Abu Mansor, Shazali, 2009. "Empirical analysis on emerging issues of Malaysia outward FDI from macroeconomic perspective," MPRA Paper 37680, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:28:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.