Malaysia's outward FDI: The effects of market size and government policy
AbstractThis paper extends the empirical literature of Malaysia's outward FDI (OFDI) by considering the impact of foreign market size and home international reserves using multivariate cointegration and error-correction modeling techniques. The empirical results reveal that there is a positive long-run relationship between Malaysia's OFDI and its key determinants, viz. foreign market size, real effective exchange rate, international reserves and trade openness. The main findings suggest that apart from the market-seeking incentive and the adoption of outward-oriented policies, the Malaysian government could also encourage OFDI by implementing liberal policy on capital outflows. On the basis of these findings, we draw some policy implications for the country's economic development and the internationalization of Malaysian firms in the era of globalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 33 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Outward FDI Malaysia;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- goh, sookhoon, 2012. "Could inward FDI offset the substitution effect of outward FDI on domestic investment? evidence from Malaysia," MPRA Paper 43237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koi Nyen Wong & Soo Khoon Goh, 2013.
"Outward FDI, merchandise and services trade: evidence from Singapore,"
Journal of Business Economics and Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 276-291, April.
- Wong, Koi Nyen & Goh, Soo Khoon, 2011. "Outward FDI, merchandise and services trade: evidence from Singapore," MPRA Paper 35377, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chowdhury, Mamta B, 2011. "India’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment: Closed Doors to Open Souk," MPRA Paper 32828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stoian, Carmen, 2013. "Extending Dunning's Investment Development Path: The role of home country institutional determinants in explaining outward foreign direct investment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 615-637.
- Goh, Soo Khoon & Wong, Koi Nyen & Tham, Siew Yean, 2012. "Does Outward FDI Matter in International Trade? Evidence from Malaysia," MPRA Paper 39715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.