An Integrated Corporate Governance Framework and Financial Performance in South African Listed Corporations
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between an integrated corporate governance (CG) index and financial performance using a sample of 169 South African (SA) listed corporations between 2002 and 2007. We find a statistically significant and positive association between a broad set of good CG practices and financial performance. In a series of sensitivity analyses, we find that our results are robust to endogeneity, different financial performance proxies, alternative CG weighting scheme and firm-level fixed-effects. We further distinctively examine the link between complying with SA context specific stakeholder CG provisions and financial performance. In line with political cost and resource dependence theories, our results reveal a statistically significant and positive nexus between compliance with stakeholder CG provisions and financial performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45805.
Date of creation: Apr 2013
Date of revision:
corporate governance; corporate financial performance; affirmative action and stakeholder provisions; King II and South Africa; endogeneity;
Other versions of this item:
- Collins G. Ntim, 2013. "An Integrated Corporate Governance Framework and Financial Performance in South African-Listed Corporations," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 81(3), pages 373-392, 09.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Beiner & Wolfgang Drobetz & Markus M. Schmid & Heinz Zimmermann, 2006. "An Integrated Framework of Corporate Governance and Firm Valuation," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(2), pages 249-283.
- Bhagat, Sanjai & Bolton, Brian, 2008. "Corporate governance and firm performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 257-273, June.
- Lucian Bebchuk & Alma Cohen & Allen Ferrell, 2009. "What Matters in Corporate Governance?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(2), pages 783-827, February.
- Black, Bernard, 2001. "The corporate governance behavior and market value of Russian firms," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 89-108, June.
- Graham Barr & Jos Gerson & Brian Kantor, 1995. "Shareholders As Agents And Principals: The Case For South Africa'S Corporate Governance System," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(1), pages 1-32.
- Black, Bernard S. & Love, Inessa & Rachinsky, Andrei, 2006. "Corporate governance indices and firms' market values: Time series evidence from Russia," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 361-379, December.
- Dulacha G. Barako & Phil Hancock & H. Y. Izan, 2006. "Factors Influencing Voluntary Corporate Disclosure by Kenyan Companies," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 107-125, 03.
- Baek, Jae-Seung & Kang, Jun-Koo & Suh Park, Kyung, 2004. "Corporate governance and firm value: evidence from the Korean financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 265-313, February.
- Ntim, Collins G, 2012.
"Director Shareownership and Corporate Performance in South Africa,"
45808, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Collins G. Ntim, 2012. "Director shareownership and corporate performance in South Africa," African Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(4), pages 359-373.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.