Factors Influencing Voluntary Corporate Disclosure by Kenyan Companies
AbstractThere has been considerable research in respect of voluntary disclosure by companies and factors that may explain such disclosure. However, most of the research has been centred in developed countries. This study extends the previous literature by examining voluntary disclosure in a developing country, namely Kenya. Over the last decade, the Kenyan Government has initiated several far-reaching reforms at the Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE) in order to mobilise domestic savings and attract foreign capital investment. These measures include privatisation of state corporations through the stock exchange and allowing foreign investors to own shares in the listed companies. This study provides a longitudinal examination of voluntary disclosure practices in the annual reports of listed companies in Kenya from 1992 to 2001. The study investigates the extent to which corporate governance attributes, ownership structure and company characteristics influence voluntary disclosure practices. Copyright (c) 2006 The Authors; Journal compilation (c) 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Corporate Governance: An International Review.
Volume (Year): 14 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0964-8410&site=1
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Norhani Aripin & Greg Tower & Grantley Taylor, 2011. "Insights on the diversity of financial ratios communication," Asian Review of Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(1), pages 68-85, May.
- Ienciu Ionel-Alin, 2012. "Environmental Reporting And Shareholder Structure In The Case Of Romanian Companies," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 931-937, July.
- Myriam Boudiche, 2013. "The Determinants of Profit Forecast by Tunisian Companies," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(9), pages 1180-1194, September.
- C. Baccouche & Olfa Errais & Karima Mzoughi, 2010. "Les déterminants de la publication volontaire d'informations sociales : cas des entreprises tunisiennes," Post-Print halshs-00526423, HAL.
- Collins G. Ntim & Kwaku K. Opong & Jo Danbolt & Dennis A. Thomas, 2012. "Voluntary corporate governance disclosures by post-Apartheid South African corporations," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 122-144.
- Isabelle Martinez & Emmanuelle Negre, 2011. "Les déterminants de la communication volontaire des entreprises cibles d'OPA/OPE : le cas des synergies," Post-Print hal-00650551, HAL.
- Collins G. Ntim, 2013.
"An Integrated Corporate Governance Framework and Financial Performance in South African-Listed Corporations,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 81(3), pages 373-392, 09.
- Ntim, Collins G., 2013. "An Integrated Corporate Governance Framework and Financial Performance in South African Listed Corporations," MPRA Paper 45805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dulacha Barako & Alistair Brown, 2008. "Corporate social reporting and board representation: evidence from the Kenyan banking sector," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 309-324, November.
- Roshayani Arshad Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Rohaya Md Nor & Nur Adura Ahmad Noruddin, 2011. "Ownership Structure And Interaction Effects Of Firm Performance On Management Commentary Disclosures," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-332, Conference Master Resources.
- Stefanescu Cristina Alexandrina, 2013. "How do board of directors affect corporate governance disclosure? – the case of banking system," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 16(47), pages 127-146, March.
- Roshayani Arshad & Rohaya Md Nor & Nur Adura Ahmad Noruddin, 2011. "Ownership Structure And Interaction Effects Of Firm Performance On Management Commentary Disclosures," Journal of Global Management, Global Research Agency, vol. 2(2), pages 124-145, July.
- Mostafa Kamal Hassan, 2009. "UAE corporations-specific characteristics and level of risk disclosure," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(7), pages 668-687, August.
- Ienciu Ionel-Alin, 2012. "Environmental Reporting And Corporate Goveranance For Ftse 100 Listed Companies," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 681-687, December.
- Greg Tower & Kelly Anh Vu & Glennda Scully, 2011. "Corporate communication for Vietnamese listed firms," Asian Review of Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 125-146, September.
- Hichem Khlif & Mohsen Souissi, 2010. "The determinants of corporate disclosure: a meta-analysis," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(3), pages 198-219, September.
- Jonas Oliveira & Lúcia Lima Rodrigues & Russell Craig, 2011. "Risk-related disclosures by non-finance companies: Portuguese practices and disclosure characteristics," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(9), pages 817-839, November.
- Mohammad Talha & Abdullah Sallehhuddin Abdullah Salim, 2010. "What prompts firms to choose between business and geographic segments as a primary segment?," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 17-31, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.