Linkage between Microfinance participation and securing Employment through MGNREGP
AbstractIn this paper the relationship is assessed between participation in microfinance program under SGSY scheme through forming Self-Help Group and getting employment through Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Program (MGNREGP). Using Tobit Model with endogenous covariate method it is established that participation in microfinance program operating through joint liability credit contract help the rural households mainly the women to generate more social capital than the non-participant households which ultimately help them to get more information about different developmental program like MGNREGP initiated by the government. Hence, it came out from our investigation that microfinance participant member households get more number of man-days of employment through MGNREGP than the non-member households. It is also established from our investigation that households with higher average monthly income and less dependency ratio are less prone to demand job under MGNREGP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 44284.
Date of creation: 04 Feb 2012
Date of revision: 16 Oct 2012
Publication status: Published in Indian Journal of Economics and Research January -February 2013.2(2013): pp. 22-29
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Program; Microfinance; Self-Help Group; Social Capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- P25 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert M. Townsend, .
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Kundu, Amit, 2010. "Joint versus Individual Liability in Microfinance – A Comparative Impact Evaluation Through Natural Experiment," MPRA Paper 32695, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Apr 2011.
- Kundu, AMIT, 2010.
"Can Microcredit and Job Under NREGS Jointly Bring More Happiness to the Villagers?,"
29589, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Dec 2010.
- Amit Kundu, 2011. "Can Microcredit And Job Under Nregs Jointly Bring More Happiness To The Villagers?," The IUP Journal of Governance and Public Policy, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 7-23, March.
- Kundu, AMIT, 2011. "Enhancement of social capital through participation in micro-finance: an empirical investigation," MPRA Paper 39221, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jan 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.