Can Microcredit and Job Under NREGS Jointly Bring More Happiness to the Villagers?
AbstractThis paper aims to investigate whether access to microfinance loan and job under National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS) have any significant impact to bring life satisfaction as well as happiness, an important well-being indicator to the villagers of West Bengal. Here we consider microfinance system under individual liability loan contract and joint liability loan contract separately. This paper shows participation in microfinance programme, size of microcredit and more number of man-days of getting job under NREGS bring more happiness to the village people. It is also established that members of Self-Help Group under SGSY scheme become happier in compare to members of VSSU a microfinance system operating on the basis of individual liability loan contract. This is because most of the members under SGSY scheme are women and that of VSSU are men and the members of Self-Help Group under SGSY scheme have become much more empowered after joining the microfinance programme through forming Self-Help Group.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29589.
Date of creation: 10 Jun 2010
Date of revision: 15 Dec 2010
Microfinance; Individual Liability; Joint Liability; NREGS; Impact Study; Happiness;
Other versions of this item:
- Amit Kundu, 2011. "Can Microcredit And Job Under Nregs Jointly Bring More Happiness To The Villagers?," The IUP Journal of Governance and Public Policy, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 7-23, March.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oswald, A.J., 1997.
"Happiness and Economic Performance,"
18, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Oswald, Andrew, 1997. "Happiness and Economic Performance," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 478, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Javier Herrera & Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2006. "The determinants of subjective poverty: A comparative analysis in Madagascar and Peru," Working Papers DT/2006/01, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Townsend, R.M., 1991.
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
91-3, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Robert M. Townsend, . "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001.
"Well-Being Over Time in Britain and the USA,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
616, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kundu, AMIT, 2012. "Linkage between Microfinance participation and securing Employment through MGNREGP," MPRA Paper 44284, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Oct 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.