Can Microcredit And Job Under Nregs Jointly Bring More Happiness To The Villagers?
AbstractThis paper aims to investigate whether access to microfinance loans and jobs under National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS) has any significant impact on the life satisfaction as well as happiness, an important well-being indicator, of the villagers of West Bengal. Here we consider microfinance system under individual liability loan contract and joint liability loan contract separately. This paper shows that participation in microfinance programme, size of microcredit and more number of man-days of job under NREGS bring more happiness to the village people. It is also established that members of Self-Help Group (SHG) under Swarnajayanti Gram Swarojgar Yojana (SGSY) scheme are happier, compared to members of Vivekananda Sevakendra-O-Sishu Udyan (VSSU), a microfinance system, operating on the basis of individual liability loan contract. This is because, most of the members under SGSY scheme are women and that of VSSU are men, and the members of SHG under SGSY scheme feel much more empowered after joining the microfinance programme.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Governance and Public Policy.
Volume (Year): VI (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Kundu, AMIT, 2010. "Can Microcredit and Job Under NREGS Jointly Bring More Happiness to the Villagers?," MPRA Paper 29589, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Dec 2010.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Townsend, R.M., 1991.
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
91-3, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Robert M. Townsend, . "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Oswald, A.J., 1997.
"Happiness and Economic Performance,"
18, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Oswald, Andrew, 1997. "Happiness and Economic Performance," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 478, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001.
"Well-Being Over Time in Britain and the USA,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
616, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Javier Herrera & Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2006. "The determinants of subjective poverty: A comparative analysis in Madagascar and Peru," Working Papers DT/2006/01, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Kundu, AMIT, 2012. "Linkage between Microfinance participation and securing Employment through MGNREGP," MPRA Paper 44284, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Oct 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.