Opportunities in microfinance risk management
AbstractThis paper examines the main risk management opportunities and threats, which microfinance institutions (MFIs) are exposed to. Awareness and understanding of these indicators can make the evolution of microfinance more accurate and simultaneously can help to locate the microfinance market in the broader picture of economic development. Growing competition improves the current situation for borrowers, because it leads to acceptable interest rates policy and expansion of existing microfinance services. At the same time, intense competition may represent threats, if the rules of regulation and supervision are not properly set. In this regard, we believe that the future of microfinance will significantly depend on the linkage between MFIs and financial markets, especially in the light of access to an alternative source of funding, the possibility of securitization and other complementary services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 43960.
Date of creation: 23 Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Microfinance; Microcredit; MFIs; Financial Crises;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karel Janda & Barbora Svárovská, 2009. "Investing into Microfinance Investment Funds," Working Papers IES 2009/32, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Dec 2009.
- Mamiza Haq & Michael Skully & Shams Pathan, 2010. "Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions: A Data Envelopment Analysis," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 63-97, March.
- McIntosh, Craig & Wydick, Bruce, 2005. "Competition and microfinance," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 271-298, December.
- Dokulilova, Lenka & Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2009.
"Sustainability of microfinance institutions in financial crisis,"
17696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lenka DOKULILOVÁ & Karel Janda & Pavel ZETEK, 2009. "Sustainability of Microfinance Institutions in Financial Crisis," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(2), pages 7-33.
- Ahmad Nawaz, 2010. "Efficiency and Productivity of Microfinance: Incorporating the Role of Subsidies," Working Papers CEB 10-009.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.