The effect of financial deregulation on money demand in Malaysia
AbstractThe study seeks to examine the impact of financial deregulation on the money demand in Malaysia and the implication of altered money demand pattern on the Malaysian monetary conduct. It also attempts to investigate the currency substitution effect as result of the financial market development and integration of domestic market with the rest of the world. The study utilizes Augmented Dickey Fuller (ADF) and Phillips Perron (PP) tests for unit root and stationarity of data, multivariate Johansen cointegration test, and Vector Error Correction model in the analysis of the dynamics of the short run money demand model and adjustment to restore its long run equilibrium. Findings suggest a stable long run relationship of money demand in Malaysia and a greater income elasticity of money demand supported by growing degree of monetization and substantial improvement in banking infrastructure as well as some degree of currency substitution among domestic residents. However, short run dynamic of money demand is found to be instable and correction of its disequilibrium over time was somehow slow, hence shifting monetary targeting by authority from monetary aggregates towards interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42295.
Date of creation: 04 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Financial deregulation; money demand; vector error correction model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muhd-Zulkhibri Abdul Majid, 2004. "Reassessing The Stability of Broad Money Demand in Malaysia," Macroeconomics 0405020, EconWPA.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.