Governing Agrarian Risks
AbstractRisks management studies in the agri-food sector predominately focus on the technical methods and the capability to perceive, prevent, mitigate, and recover from diverse risks. In most economic publications the risks are usually studied as other commodity regulated by the market supply and demand, and the farmers “willingness to pay” for an insurance contract modeled. At the same time, the risk management analysis largely ignore a significant “human nature” based (bounded rationality, opportunism) risk, critical factors for the managerial choice such as the institutional environment and the transaction costs, and diversity of alternative (market, private, collective, public, hybrid) modes of risk management. This paper incorporates the interdisciplinary New Institutional Economics and presents a comprehensive framework for analyzing the risk management in the agri-food sector. First, it specifies the diverse (natural, technical, behavioral, economic, policy etc.) type of agri-food risks, and the (market, private, public and hybrid) modes of their management. Second, it defines the efficiency of risk management and identifies (personal, institutional, dimensional, technological, natural) factors of governance choice. Third, it presents stages in the analysis of risk management and for the improvement of public intervention in the risk governance. Forth, it identifies the contemporary opportunities and challenges for the risk governance in the agri-food chain. Finally, it identifies, and assesses the efficiency and prospects of major modes for risk governance in the Bulgarian dairy sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41651.
Date of creation: 01 May 2012
Date of revision:
agri-food chain and risk management; market; private; and public governance; dairy risk management; Bulgaria;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- Q52 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Pollution Control Costs; Distributional Effects; Employment Effects
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-10-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-10-13 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-RMG-2012-10-13 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2010.
"Framework for Analysis of Agrarian Contracts,"
20264, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hrabrin BACHEV, 2010. "Framework For Analisis Of Agrarian Contracts," Management Research and Practice, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 2(1), pages 39-66, March.
- Bachev, Hrabrin Ianouchev & Nanseki, T., 2008. "Risk Governance in Bulgarian Dairy Farming," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium, European Association of Agricultural Economists 44136, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Richard Shepherd & Gary Barker & Simon French & Andy Hart & John Maule & Angela Cassidy, 2006. "Managing Food Chain Risks: Integrating Technical and Stakeholder Perspectives on Uncertainty," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 313-327, 07.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2010.
"Needs, Modes and Efficiency of Economic Organizations and Public Interventions in Agriculture,"
25979, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hrabrin Bachev, 2011. "Needs, Modes and Efficiency of Economic Organizations and Public Interventions in Agriculture," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 89-103, June.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2011. "Dairy value chain management in Bulgaria," MPRA Paper 29813, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2008. "Governing of agrarian sustainability," MPRA Paper 7772, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2012. "Risk Management in Agri-food Chain," MPRA Paper 39594, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.