Stability analysis in economic dynamics: A computational approach
AbstractModern microeconomics and macroeconomics study dynamic phenomena. Dynamics could predict future states of an economy based on its structural characteristics. Economic dynamics are modeled in discrete and continuous time context, mainly via autonomous difference and differential equations. In this study, we use Xcas and Mathematica as software tools, in order to generate results concerning the dynamic properties of the solutions of the difference and differential equation(s) models and determine whether an economic equilibrium exists. Our computational approach does not require solving the difference or differential equation(s) and makes no assumptions for initial conditions. The results provide quantitative information based on the qualitative properties of the mathematical solutions. The computer codes are fully presented and can be reproduced as they are in computational-based research practice and education. The relevant output of CAS software is created in a way as to be interpreted without the knowledge of advanced mathematics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41371.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Stability conditions; software tools; economic equilibrium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- C88 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Other Computer Software
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Champsaur, Paul & Dreze, Jacques H & Henry, Claude, 1977. "Stability Theorems with Economic Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 273-94, March.
- Orlando Gomes, 2012. "Transitional Dynamics in Sticky-Information General Equilibrium Models," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 387-407, April.
- Marco Ratto, 2008. "Analysing DSGE Models with Global Sensitivity Analysis," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 115-139, March.
- Halkos, George, 2011. "Cyclical and constant strategies in renewable resources extraction," MPRA Paper 34654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George, 2010.
"Dynamic optimization in natural resources management,"
24744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George E. HALKOS & George PAPAGEORGIOU, 2010. "Dynamic Optimization in Natural Resources Management," Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 92 - 97, December.
- Folsom, Roger Nils & Boger, Dan C & Mullikin, Harry C, 1976. "Stability Conditions for Linear Constant Coefficient Difference Equations in Generalized Differenced Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 575-91, May.
- Halkos, George & Papageorgiou, George, 2008. "Extraction of non-renewable resources: a differential game approach," MPRA Paper 37596, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Halkos, George & Tsilika, Kyriaki, 2012. "Constructing a Generator of Matrices with Pattern," MPRA Paper 43614, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tsilika, Kyriaki, 2012. "Programming identification criteria in simultaneous equation models," MPRA Paper 43467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.