Do Credit Associations Put Competitive Pressure on Regional Banks in Japanese Regional Lending Markets?
AbstractThis paper investigates whether credit associations put competitive pressure on regional banks in Japanese regional lending markets. It was found that credit associations pressure regional banks to set lower lending interest rates in regional markets. In addition, the competitive pressure from credit associations in a prefecture whose share of credit associations is more than 20% is much stronger than in a prefecture whose share of credit associations is less than 20%. In particular, regional banks in a prefecture whose share of credit associations is from 25% to 30% experience the strongest pressure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38769.
Date of creation: 13 May 2012
Date of revision:
regional lending markets; regional banks; credit associations; lending interest rates; competitive pressure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-05-22 (Banking)
- NEP-GEO-2012-05-22 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2012-05-22 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2002.
"Banks vs. credit unions: dynamic competition in local markets,"
Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers
2002-10, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2000. "Banks vs. credit unions; dynamic competition in local markets," Working Papers 2000-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2003. "The Determinants of Bank Rates in Local Consumer Lending Markets: Comparing Market and Institution-Level Results," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 144-156, July.
- Feinberg, Robert M. & Rahman, A. F. M. Ataur, 2001. "A causality test of the relationship between bank and credit union lending rates in local markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 271-275, May.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2001. "The Competitive Role Of Credit Unions In Small Local Financial Services Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 560-563, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.