Market Structure and Competition among Retail Depository Institutions
AbstractWe assess competition among retail depository institutions in 1,884 rural markets. We estimate an equilibrium market structure model that endogenizes the operating decisions of three types of depository institutions: multimarket banks, single-market banks, and thrift institutions. Observed market structures and a game-theoretic specification of entry behavior identify the parameters of an underlying profit function. We find strong evidence that product differentiation generates additional profits for retail depository institutions. These profits help to maintain smaller banks and thrifts, even as larger banks expand their operations. Consumers have more options, as more institutions can profitably operate as a result of product differentiation. Copyright by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xiao, Mo & Orazem, Peter F., 2011.
"Does the fourth entrant make any difference?: Entry and competition in the early U.S. broadband market,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 547-561, September.
- Xiao, Mo & Orazem, Peter, 2010. "Does the Fourth Entrant Make Any Difference? Entry and Competition in the Early U.S. Broadband Market," Staff General Research Papers 32147, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Phil Molyneux & Hong Liu & John O.S. Wilson, 2010.
"Competition and Stability in European Banking: A Regional Analysis,"
10019, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Hong Liu & Phil Molyneux & John O. S. Wilson, 2013. "Competition And Stability In European Banking: A Regional Analysis," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 81(2), pages 176-201, 03.
- Steven Deller & Reka Sundaram-Stukel, 2012. "Spatial patterns in the location decisions of US credit unions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 49(2), pages 417-445, October.
- Benjamin Chabot & Charles C. Moul, 2013. "Bank panics, government guarantees, and the long-run size of the financial sector: evidence from free-banking America," Working Paper Series WP-2013-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Yu-ter Wang, 2008. "Product Differentiation: An Alternative To Cvds," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(3), pages 513-517, 09.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Robert Clark & Hui Wang, 2012.
"Diversification of Geographic Risk in Retail Bank Networks: Evidence from Bank Expansion after the Riegle-Neal Act,"
tecipa-465, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Clark, Robert & Wang, Hui, 2014. "Diversification of Geographic Risk in Retail Bank Networks: Evidence from Bank Expansion after the Riegle-Neal Act," CEPR Discussion Papers 9816, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coublucq, Daniel, 2013. "Demand estimation with selection bias: A dynamic game approach with an application to the US railroad industry," DICE Discussion Papers 94, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Andrew M. Cohen & Beth A. Freeborn & Brian McManus, 2007. "Competition and Crowding-Out among Public, Non-Profit and For-Profit Organizations: Evidence from Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment," Working Papers 52, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Carlos Pérez Montes, 2013. "The impact of interbank and public debt markets on the competition for bank deposits," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1319, Banco de Espa�a.
- Antonis Michis, 2013. "Measuring Market Power in the Banking Industry in the Presence of Opportunity Cost," Working Papers 2013-01, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Pérez Montes, Carlos, 2014. "The effect on competition of banking sector consolidation following the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 124-136.
- Nathan H. Miller, 2008. "Competition When Consumers Value Firm Scope," EAG Discussions Papers 200807, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Dai, Mian & Yuan, Yuan, 2013. "Product differentiation and efficiencies in the retail banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 4907-4919.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.