The Competitive Role Of Credit Unions In Small Local Financial Services Markets
AbstractAlthough there is a considerable literature on the role of market structure in banking markets, no attention has been given to the impact of the competitive discipline provided by credit unions on consumer credit rates offered by banks. After presenting a theoretical framework for understanding the impact credit unions should be expected to have, this article analyzes a pooled cross-sectional, time-series sample with roughly 1,000 observations on relatively small United States markets, with the focus on explaining bank rates for two types of consumer loans. Results confirm the previously observed role of market structure and suggest a significant role for credit unions in disciplining the exercise of market power by banks. © 2001 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bauer, Keldon, 2008. "Detecting abnormal credit union performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 573-586, April.
- Andew Cohen & Michael Mazzeo, 2004. "Market structure and competition among retail depository institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christian E. Weller, 2007.
"Have Differences in Credit Access Diminished in an Era of Financial Market Deregulation?,"
wp144, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Christian Weller, 2010. "Have Differences in Credit Access Diminished in an Era of Financial Market Deregulation?," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 68(1), pages 1-34.
- Christian E. Weller & Amy Helburn, 2009. "Public Policy Options to Build Wealth for America’s Middle Class," Working Papers wp210, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Timothy H. Hannan, 2003. "The impact of credit unions on the rates offered for retail deposits by banks and thrift institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-06, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Goddard & Donal McKillop & John Wilson, 2009. "Which Credit Unions are Acquired?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 231-252, December.
- Kondo, Kazumine, 2012. "Do Credit Associations Put Competitive Pressure on Regional Banks in Japanese Regional Lending Markets?," MPRA Paper 38769, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Feinberg, 2002. "Credit Unions: Fringe Suppliers or Cournot Competitors?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 105-113, March.
- Tatom, John, 2005. "Competitive advantage: a study of the federal tax exemption for credit unions," MPRA Paper 4398, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Ely & Kenneth Robinson, 2009. "Credit Unions and Small Business Lending," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 53-80, February.
- Robert J. Tokle, 2005. "The Influence of Credit Unions on Bank CD Rate Payments," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 36(1), pages 57-64.
- Feinberg, Robert M. & Rahman, A. F. M. Ataur, 2001. "A causality test of the relationship between bank and credit union lending rates in local markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 271-275, May.
- Joanne G. Tokle & Robert J. Tokle, 2002. "Factors Determining Credit Union Loan Rates in Local Markets," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 33(1), pages 52-60.
- Goddard, John & McKillop, Donal & Wilson, John O.S., 2008. "The diversification and financial performance of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1836-1849, September.
- Robert Feinberg, 2008. "Explaining the Credit Union Entry Decision, and Implications for Performance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 81-91, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.