Determinants of the exchange market pressure in the euro-candidate countries
AbstractIn the paper we choose the correct model specification for eight new EU Member States (NMS) to estimate the exchange market pressure (EMP) over the period 1995-2009. The results suggest that growth of domestic credit and money multiplier had a significantly positive impact on EMP. Furthermore, EMP in many NMS was determined by foreign disturbances, namely euro area’s money supply, foreign capital inflow and interest rate differential. EMP in most of NMS with flexible exchange rate regime was primarily absorbed by changes in international reserves. This forms, along with fundamentally stable EMP development in recent years, a solid basis for potential fulfilment of the exchange rate stability convergence criterion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26933.
Date of creation: 22 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
exchange market pressure; Girton-Roper model; determinants; new EU Member States;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2010-12-04 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2010-12-04 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2010-12-04 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Rose, Andrew K & Wyplosz, Charles, 1994.
"Speculative Attacks on Pegged Exchange Rates: An Empirical Exploration with Special Reference to the European Monetary System,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen & Andrew K. Rose & Charles Wyplosz, 1995. "Speculative attacks on pegged exchange rates: an empirical exploration with special reference to the European Monetary System," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Barry Eichengreen & Andrew K. Rose & Charles Wyplosz, 1994. "Speculative Attacks on Pegged Exchange Rates: An Empirical Exploration with Special Reference to the European Monetary System," NBER Working Papers 4898, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen, Andrew K. Rose, and Charles Wyplosz., 1995. "Speculative Attacks on Pegged Exchange Rates: An Empirical Exploration with Special Reference to the European Monetary System," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-046, University of California at Berkeley.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & David Bernstein, 1999. "Exchange market pressure during the current managed float," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(9), pages 585-588.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Tassos Anastasatos & Constantina Manou, 2008. "Speculative Attacks on the Drachma and the Changeover to the Euro," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 31, pages 49-77, November.
- Simone Bertoli & Giampiero Gallo & Giorgio Ricchiuti, 2006.
"Exchange Market Pressure: Some Caveats In Empirical Applications,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2006_17, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Simone Bertoli & Giampiero Gallo & Giorgio Ricchiuti, 2010. "Exchange market pressure: some caveats in empirical applications," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(19), pages 2435-2448.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.