Diverging Paths to a Network World: Computerizing Spanish and British Savings Banks, 1960-1990
AbstractThe development of shared data processing networks and their consequences for new retail banking services from the 1960s to the 1980s in both Spanish and British savings banks are the topic of this research. Each of the two competitive environments responded in its own way to the processes of technological and organizational change. As a result this paper observes cross-country variations in the presence of convergence and globalisation. This approach focus on the impact of computer communication networks as a result of corporate strategy in Spanish savings banks. But relevant aspects of computerization in Britain are considered to highlight the adaptative capacity of technology in different environments. Also this paper considers organizational forms with similar root in their corporate governance to enable a degree of homogeneity of the analysis of technological change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25966.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
technological change; computer communication networks; computerization; regulatory change; savings banks; retail banks; TSB; collaboration; Spain; UK;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N20 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - General, International, or Comparative
- N70 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services - - - General, International, or Comparative
- N2 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-10-30 (Banking)
- NEP-NET-2010-10-30 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nightingale, Paul & Poll, Robert, 2000. "Innovation in Investment Banking: The Dynamics of Control Systems within the Chandlerian Firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 113-41, March.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1961. "The Trustee Savings Banks, 1817–1861," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 26-40, March.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo, 2004. "Strategic alliances and competitive edge: insights from Spanish and UK banking histories," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 23-56.
- Soto, Ángel Pascual Martínez, 2000. "Las Cajas de Ahorros españolas en el siglo XIX: entre la beneficencia y la integración en el sistema financiero," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 585-628, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.