Las cajas de ahorro y el cambio tecnológico antes de Internet, 1945-1995
[Technological change in Spanish Savings Banks before Internet, 1945-1995]
AbstractTechnical advances in retail banking have had profound repercussions for the competitiveness of individual firms and for the sector as a whole. This paper looks at the role played by new technological resources within the context of organizational change and the products and services offered by Spanish savings banks. These entities constitute an excellent case study, given that they have been incorporating technology intensively, particularly since the 1960’s. In the case in question, persistence had little influence on the process of technological change. However, the mechanization of operations, the computerization of administrative systems and the establishment of data transfer networks were all exceptional and premature in the way in which they developed. It was the banking industry, prior to other sectors that stimulated the demand for certain technologies, which was somewhat idiosyncratic when compared to other countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37726.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
productivity; retail banking; savings banks; technological change; Spain; Europe;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- N84 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - Europe: 1913-
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2012-04-10 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-ICT-2012-04-10 (Information & Communication Technologies)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whittington, Richard & Mayer, Michael, 2002. "The European Corporation: Strategy, Structure, and Social Science," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199251049.
- Martin Campbell-Kelly, 2004. "Mechanisation and computers in banking: a foreword," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 233-234.
- Nightingale, Paul & Poll, Robert, 2000. "Innovation in Investment Banking: The Dynamics of Control Systems within the Chandlerian Firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 113-41, March.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo, 2004. "Strategic alliances and competitive edge: insights from Spanish and UK banking histories," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 23-56.
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Karlsson, Tobias & Thodenius, Björn, 2009. "Building Bankomat: The development of on-line, real-time systems in British and Swedish savings banks, c.1965-1985," MPRA Paper 27084, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.