Climate Change and Sustainable practices: A Case Study of the Resort Industry in Florida
AbstractClimate change and potential global warming has become important in many forums both nationally and internationally. Though there has previously been some opposition to the existence of human caused climate change and resulting global warming as a threat to the earth’s population and survival, scientific evidence has more recently been found to be compelling. One of the key industries that may be affected by global warming and climate change is the tourism industry. This is becoming a growing concern in Florida, U.S.A. where potential rising sea levels may have a profound effect. This paper discusses the development, importance and implications of climate change, its relationship to the tourism and hospitality industry and provides a case study of the Florida lodging industry regarding mechanisms and responses that the lodging and resort sector of the industry has been taking in addressing climate change factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25293.
Date of creation: 22 Jan 2009
Date of revision: 08 Mar 2009
Publication status: Published in TOURISMOS: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism 2.4(2009): pp. 107-128
Climate Change; Global Warming; Lodging; Resorts; Sustainable Practices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bigano & Maria Berrittella & Roberto Roson & Richard S.J. Tol, 2004.
"A General Equilibrium Analysis of Climate Change Impacts on Tourism,"
Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei
2004.127, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Maria Berrittella & Andrea Bigano & Roberto Roson & Richard S.J. Tol, 2004. "A General Equilibrium Analysis Of Climate Change Impacts On Tourism," Working Papers, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University FNU-49, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Nov 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.