The separation of ownership and control and investment decisions in Mexican manufacturing firms
AbstractWe study how the ownership and control structures may explain investment decisions of Mexican manufacturing firms. We study them with aggregate indexes and the assessment of several regression sets. We use measures of ownership, management and agency costs. The econometric analysis uses longitudinal census data for 182 industries. Our findings support the claim that agency costs, as a measure of the separation of management and control, and firms` size can explain investment decisions. Furthermore the estimations support the necessity to include investment opportunities and cash flow as control variables. The coefficients of all variables are mostly significant and positive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25237.
Date of creation: 20 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Ownership; Control; Investment; Mexico; Manufacturing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Gugler & Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2007. "Corporate Governance and the Determinants of Investment," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(4), pages 598-626, December.
- Madden, Gerald P., 1982. "The separation of ownership from control and investment performance," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 149-152.
- Franklin Allen, 2005. "Corporate Governance in Emerging Economies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 164-177, Summer.
- Antonio Ruiz-Porras & William Henry Steinwascher Sacio, 2008.
"Gobierno corporativo, diversificación estratégica y desempeño empresarial en México,"
Revista de Administración, Finanzas y Economía (Journal of Management, Finance and Economics),
Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México, vol. 2(1), pages 58-73.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio & Steinwascher, William, 2007.
"Gobierno corporativo, diversificación estratégica y desempeño empresarial en México
[Corporate governance, strategic diversification and performance of firms in Mexico]," MPRA Paper 3819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio & Steinwascher, William, 2007. "Gobierno corporativo, diversificación estratégica y desempeño empresarial en México
- Stijn Claessens, 2006. "Corporate Governance and Development," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 91-122.
- Kadapakkam, Palani-Rajan & Kumar, P. C. & Riddick, Leigh A., 1998. "The impact of cash flows and firm size on investment: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 293-320, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.