Corporate Governance in Emerging Economies
AbstractMost of the literature on corporate governance emphasizes that firms should be run in the interests of shareholders. This is an appropriate objective function when markets are perfect and complete. In many emerging economies this is not the case: markets are imperfect and incomplete. The first theme of the paper is that alternative firm objective functions, such as pursuing the interests of all stakeholders, may help overcome market failures. The second theme is that it is not necessarily optimal to use the law to ensure good corporate governance. Other mechanisms such as competition, trust, and reputation may be preferable. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio & Steinwascher, William, 2007.
"Gobierno corporativo, diversificación estratégica y desempeño empresarial en México
[Corporate governance, strategic diversification and performance of firms in Mexico]," MPRA Paper 3819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Ruiz-Porras & William Henry Steinwascher Sacio, 2008. "Gobierno corporativo, diversificación estratégica y desempeño empresarial en México," Revista de Administración, Finanzas y Economía (Journal of Management, Finance and Economics), Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México, vol. 2(1), pages 58-73.
- Marco Pagano & Paolo Volpin, 2005.
"Shareholder Protection, Stock Market Development, and Politics,"
CSEF Working Papers
149, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Pagano, Marco & Volpin, Paolo, 2005. "Shareholder Protection, Stock Market Development and Politics," CEPR Discussion Papers 5378, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dariush Foroghi & Hadi Amiri & Zahra Nokhbeh Fallah, 2013. "Corporate Governance and Conservatism," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(4), pages 61-71, October.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio & Lopez-Mateo, Celina, 2010. "The separation of ownership and control and investment decisions in Mexican manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 25237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2011.
"Gouvernance d’entreprise et performances sectorielles : une réévaluation de la fiabilité des scores et des mesures de bonne gouvernance,"
Économie et Prévision,
Programme National Persée, vol. 197(1), pages 145-158.
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2011. "Gouvernance d'entreprise et performances sectorielles: une réévaluation de la fiabilité des scores et des mesures de bonne gouvernance," Post-Print hal-00493371, HAL.
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Francesco Quatraro & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2013.
"Corporate governance, value and performance of firms: New empirical results on convergence from a large international database,"
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Francesco Quatraro & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2013. "Corporate governance, value and performance of firms: New empirical results on convergence from a large international database," Post-Print hal-00786664, HAL.
- Ajit Singh & Ann Zammit, 2006.
"Corporate Governance, Crony Capitalism and Economic Crises: should the US business model replace the Asian way of "doing business"?,"
Corporate Governance: An International Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 220-233, 07.
- Ajit Singh & Ann Zammit, 2006. "Corporate Governance, Crony capitalism and Economic Crisis: Should the US Business Model replace the Asian Way of 'Doing Business'?," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp329, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Michael Dietrich & Jackie Krafft & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2008. "Regulation and governance of the firm," Post-Print hal-00203479, HAL.
- Lloyd Steier, 2009. "Familial capitalism in global institutional contexts: Implications for corporate governance and entrepreneurship in East Asia," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 513-535, September.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R. & Puri, Manju, 2013. "Managerial attitudes and corporate actions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 103-121.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio & Lopez-Mateo, Celina, 2011. "Corporate governance, market competition and investment decisions in Mexican manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 28452, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2008. "Corporate governance, industry dynamics and firms performance on the stock market," Post-Print hal-00203544, HAL.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00786664 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sándor Gardó, 2010. "Bank Governance and Financial Stability in CESEE: A Review of the Literature," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 6-31.
- Jackie Krafft & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2008.
"Corporate governance in advanced economies: lessons in a post financial crash era Introduction to the Special Issue,"
- Jackie Krafft & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2008. "Corporate Governance in Advanced Economies: Lessons in a Post Financial Crash Era.. Introduction to the Special Issue," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 74(4), pages 419-424.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y:2010:i:1:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dennis Mueller, 2006. "Corporate Governance and Economic Performance," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(5), pages 623-643.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.