Gobierno corporativo, diversificación estratégica y desempeño empresarial en México
[Corporate governance, strategic diversification and performance of firms in Mexico]
AbstractWe study the empirical relationships among corporate governance, strategic diversification and financial performance in Mexico. The study uses data from 99 non-financial firms listed in the BMV (Mexican Stock Market) during 2004. The main relationships found are: Firms which property is concentrated use to focus on the domestic market. Family businesses diversify their productive activities and their sources of income. There are no trends, regarding strategies and performance, related to the separation between ownership and control. When independent committees exist in the board of directors, firms diversify on a mean-narrow-spectrum sense.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3819.
Date of creation: 03 Jul 2007
Date of revision:
corporate governance; strategic diversification; performance; family ownership; boards of directors;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Ruiz-Porras & William Henry Steinwascher Sacio, 2008. "Gobierno corporativo, diversificación estratégica y desempeño empresarial en México," Revista de Administración, Finanzas y Economía (Journal of Management, Finance and Economics), Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México, vol. 2(1), pages 58-73.
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-07-07 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2007-07-07 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoshino, Taeko, 2004. "Family Business in Mexico: Responses to Human Resource Limitations and Management Succession," IDE Discussion Papers 12, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio & Lopez-Mateo, Celina, 2010. "The separation of ownership and control and investment decisions in Mexican manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 25237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.