Patterns and Determinants of Living Arrangements for the Elderly in Vietnam
AbstractBy using the Vietnam Living Standard Surveys in 1992/93 and 1997/98, and the Vietnam Household Living Standard Surveys in 2002 and 2004, this paper describes the patterns of living arrangements for the elderly in Vietnam and examines the determinants of such arrangements during the past decade. We apply multinomial analysis techniques for these research purposes. The estimated results show that family structures in Vietnam have generally been maintained despite profound social and economic changes since Doi moi, as the proportion of elderly who were living with their children was high. The findings also indicate that the elderly’s decisions about whom to live with depended on various factors, including age, gender, marital status, urbanity, and home ownership. Nevertheless, some undesirable trends are emerging, such as a decline of elderly dependent on others, and a rise in elderly living alone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24949.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Vietnam; elderly; living arrangements;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2007. "The Elderly Population in Vietnam during Economic Transformation: An Overview," MPRA Paper 24948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cameron, L., 1998.
"The Residency Decision of Elderly Indonesians: A Nested Logit Analysis,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
638, The University of Melbourne.
- Lisa Cameron, 2000. "The residency decision of elderly indonesians: A nested logit analysis," Demography, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 17-27, February.
- Margaret E. Grosh & Paul Glewwe, 1998. "Data Watch: The World Bank's Living Standards Measurement Study Household Surveys," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 187-196, Winter.
- Pfau, Wade Donald & Giang, Thanh Long, 2009. "Remittances, Living Arrangements, and the Welfare of the Elderly," MPRA Paper 19121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2009. "An Exploration for a Universal Non-contributory Pension Scheme in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 24947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang, Long Thanh & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2009. "A Gender Perspective on Elderly Work in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 24946, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.