Reflexões do Impacto da Corrupção no Desenvolvimento Econômico: Uma Revisão na Economia Brasileira
[Reflections on the Impact of Corruption on Economic Development: a literature review in the Brazilian Economy]
AbstractThe corruption is a phenomenon present in different degrees in all countries around the world. In this revision article the objective was to identify the theoretical explanations of corruption and their consequences on the economic development. First, it is verified the difficulty of measurement given its illegal and secret nature. The causes can be multiple, but the literature reveals the inexistence of a solid theoretical approach. However, behavioral models and the principal-agent relationship approaches stand out in economics and political science. There is no doubt in associating the corruption to the lower economic development, that results as a consequence of the introduction of inefficiencies on investments fall in the potential product and increases the interest rate. These characteristics seem to coincide with the reality observed during the actual millennium in the Brazilian economy; without misunderstanding it results in a pernicious combination and generating of social inequalities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1818.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Keywords: Economic development; corruption; Economic; Brazil;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D73 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Bureaucracy; Administrative Processes in Public Organizations; Corruption
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-POL-2007-02-24 (Positive Political Economics)
- NEP-REG-2007-02-24 (Regulation)
- NEP-SOC-2007-02-24 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banfield, Edward C, 1975. "Corruption as a Feature of Governmental Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 587-605, December.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712, August.
- K Blackburn & N Bose & M E Haque, 2003.
"The Incidence and Persistence of Corruption in Economic Development,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester
34, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Blackburn, Keith & Bose, Niloy & Emranul Haque, M., 2006. "The incidence and persistence of corruption in economic development," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2447-2467, December.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"The Quality of Government,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research
1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 1999. "The Quality of Government," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 222-79, April.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, . "The Quality of Government," Working Paper 19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Fernando Ferrari-Filho & Frederico G. Jayme Jr & Gilberto Tadeu Lima & José Luís Oreiro & Luiz Fernando de Paula, 2004. "Uma avaliação crítica da proposta de conversibilidade plena do real," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td235, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Toke S. Aidt, 2003. "Economic analysis of corruption: a survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F632-F652, November.
- Patrick Meagher, 2005. "Anti-corruption agencies: Rhetoric Versus reality," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 69-103.
- Vito Tanzi, 1998. "Corruption Around the World," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 98/63, International Monetary Fund.
- Treisman, Daniel, 2000. "The causes of corruption: a cross-national study," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 399-457, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.