Recession in the Skilled Sector and Implications for Informal Wage
AbstractGlobal recession is likely to hit the skilled sector or the so-called white goods, white collared sector in a typical developing economy. In this paper we try to analyze the impact of such an event on informal wage as the vast majority of the workforce in the developing world is employed in the unorganized or informal sector. In particular, we demonstrate the analytical possibility that a recession in the skilled sector will actually increase real informal wage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18003.
Date of creation: 30 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Recession; skill; capital-labor ratio; informal wage; general equilibrium;
Other versions of this item:
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2011. "Recession in the skilled sector and implications for informal wage," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 158-163, September.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2009-10-24 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2009-10-24 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Macias, Jose Brambila & Cazzavillan, Guido, 2009.
"The dynamics of parallel economies. Measuring the informal sector in Mexico,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 189-199, September.
- José Brambila Macias & Guido Cazzavillan, 2008. "The Dynamics of Parallel Economies. Measuring the Informal Sector in México," Working Papers 2008_42, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Brambila Macias, Jose, 2008. "The Dynamics of Parallel Economies. Measuring the Informal Sector in México," MPRA Paper 8400, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Card & John E. DiNardo, 2002.
"Skill Biased Technological Change and Rising Wage Inequality: Some Problems and Puzzles,"
NBER Working Papers
8769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & John E. DiNardo, 2002. "Skill-Biased Technological Change and Rising Wage Inequality: Some Problems and Puzzles," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(4), pages 733-783, October.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Banerjee, Dibyendu, 2007. "Economic liberalization, capital mobility and informal wage in a small open economy: A theoretical analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 924-940, November.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Norberto Pignatti, 2008.
"Informal Employment Relationships and Labor Market Segmentation in Transition Economies: Evidence from Ukraine,"
ESCIRRU Working Papers
3, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Pignatti, Norberto, 2007. "Informal Employment Relationships and Labor Market Segmentation in Transition Economies: Evidence from Ukraine," IZA Discussion Papers 3269, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2003. "How and how far to liberalize a developing economy with informal sector and factor market distortions," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 403-428.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2007.
"The Effects of the Colombian Trade Liberalization on Urban Poverty,"
in: Globalization and Poverty, pages 241-290
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2005. "The Effects of the Colombian Trade Liberalization on Urban Poverty," NBER Working Papers 11081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal & Acharyya, Rajat, 2007. "Agricultural prospects and informal wage in general equilibrium," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 380-385, May.
- Funkhouser, Edward, 1997. "Demand-Side and Supply-Side Explanations for Barriers to Labor Market Mobility in Developing Countries: The Case of Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 341-66, January.
- Carruth, Alan A. & Oswald, Andrew J., 1981. "The determination of union and non-union wage rates," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 285-302.
- Dibyendu Maiti & Sugata Marjit, 2008. "Trade liberalization, production organization and informal sector of the developing countries," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 453-461.
- Marjit, Sugata, 2003. "Economic reform and informal wage--a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 371-378, October.
- Ann Harrison, 2006.
"Globalization and Poverty,"
NBER Working Papers
12347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukhopadhyay, 2002. "Economic liberalization and welfare in a model with an informal sector," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 143-172, March.
- Kar, Saibal & Marjit, Sugata, 2009. "Urban informal sector and poverty," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 631-642, October.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2010. "Economic recession, demand constraint and labour markets in a developing economy," MPRA Paper 27433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mandal, Biswajit & Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Hamid, 2010. "Recessionary shock, capital mobility and the informal sector," MPRA Paper 33736, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2011.
- Mandal, Biswajit, 2009. "Would Recession Induce More Intermediation in the Corrupt Informal Sector?," MPRA Paper 19930, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Jan 2010.
- Beladi, Hamid & Mandal, Biswajit, 2011. "Recessionary shock and factor return in an underemployed economy," MPRA Paper 33733, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mandal, Biswajit & Chaudhuri, Saswati, 2010. "Informal Wage, Informal Price and Extortion under Migration and Tariff Reform," MPRA Paper 28704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.