Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games Using the Nested Pseudo Likelihood Algorithm: Code and Application
AbstractThis document describes program code for the solution and estimation of dynamic discrete games of incomplete information using the Nested Pseudo Likelihood (NPL) method in Aguirregabiria and Mira (2007). The code is illustrated using a dynamic game of store location by retail chains, and actual data from McDonalds and Burger King.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17329.
Date of creation: 15 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Estimation of Dynamic Games; Nested Pseudo Likelihood Algorithm; Program Code;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Ho, Chun-Yu, 2012.
"A dynamic oligopoly game of the US airline industry: Estimation and policy experiments,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 156-173.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Ho, Chun-Yu, 2009. "A Dynamic Oligopoly Game of the US Airline Industry: Estimation and Policy Experiments," MPRA Paper 16739, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Chun-Yu Ho, 2008. "A Dynamic Oligopoly Game of the US Airline Industry: Estimation and Policy Experiments," Working Papers tecipa-337, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Paul B. Ellickson & Sanjog Misra, 2008.
"Supermarket Pricing Strategies,"
INFORMS, vol. 27(5), pages 811-828, 09-10.
- Alessandro Pinto & Gerald C. Nelson, 2009. "Land Use Change with Spatially Explicit Data: A Dynamic Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 209-229, June.
- Stephen Ryan, 2005.
"The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry,"
0510, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Stephen P. Ryan, 2012. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(3), pages 1019-1061, 05.
- Stephen Ryan, 2006. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," 2006 Meeting Papers 9, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2009.
"Labor Contracts and Flexibility: Evidence from a Labor Market Reform in Spain,"
tecipa-346, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2009. "Labor contracts and flexibility : evidence from a labor market reform in Spain," Economics Working Papers we091811, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Kasahara, Hiroyuki & Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2008. "Pseudo-likelihood estimation and bootstrap inference for structural discrete Markov decision models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 92-106, September.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2002.
"Swapping the Nested Fixed Point Algorithm: A Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1519-1543, July.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 1999. "Swapping the Nested Fixed-Point Algorithm: a Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 332, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alessandro De Pinto & Gerald C. Nelson, 2007.
"Modelling Deforestation and Land-Use Change: Sparse Data Environments,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 502-516, 09.
- De Pinto, Alessandro & Nelson, Gerald C., 2006. "Modeling Deforestation and Land Use Change: Sparse Data Environments," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25723, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Han, Lu & Hong, Seung-Hyun, 2011. "Testing Cost Inefficiency Under Free Entry in the Real Estate Brokerage Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 564-578.
- Rocío Sánchez-Mangas, 2002. "Pseudo-Maximum Likelihood Estimation Of A Dynamic Structural Investment Model," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws026218, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2004.
"Sequential Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games,"
- Junichi Suzuki, 2010.
"Land Use Regulation as a Barrier to Entry: Evidence from the Texas Lodging Industry,"
tecipa-412, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Junichi Suzuki, 2013. "Land Use Regulation As A Barrier To Entry: Evidence From The Texas Lodging Industry," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54(2), pages 495-523, 05.
- Junichi Suzuki, 2010. "Land Use Regulation as a Barrier to Entry: Evidence from the Texas Lodging Industry," Working Papers tecipa-400, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Szabolcs Lorincz, 2005. "Persistence Effects in a Dynamic Discrete Choice Model - Application to Low-End Computer Servers," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0510, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Ben Tomlin, 2010. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations, Plant Turnover and Productivity," Working Papers 10-18, Bank of Canada.
- Kosová, Renáta & Lafontaine, Francine, 2012. "Much ado about chains: A research agenda," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 303-308.
- Naoaki Minamihashi, 2012. "Natural Monopoly and Distorted Competition: Evidence from Unbundling Fiber-Optic Networks," Working Papers 12-26, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.