Prevention of Competition by Competition Law: Evidence from Unbundling Regulation on Fiber-Optic Networks in Japan
AbstractThis paper finds that a regulation that promotes competition in one market may decrease competition in other related markets. Policy makers in the telecommunication industry currently are facing an important decision about whether to continue unbundling regulations on new optical-fiber lines. I find that unbundling regulation prevents new providers from building optical-fiber networks, by estimating a dynamic entry game with a dataset of fiber-optic network constructions in Japan from 2005 to 2009. In particular, when a new technology is introduced, unbundling regulation has an oligopolization effect on the regulated firms. This finding in the Japanese telecommunications industry suggests that unbundling regulation during periods of new technology diffusion may reduce the price of service but also decrease competition in the infrastructure market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University in its series ISER Discussion Paper with number 0804.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-03-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2011-03-12 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2011-03-12 (Network Economics)
- NEP-REG-2011-03-12 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2002.
"Swapping the Nested Fixed Point Algorithm: A Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1519-1543, July.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 1999. "Swapping the Nested Fixed-Point Algorithm: a Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 332, Society for Computational Economics.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2013.
"Entry, exit, and the determinants of market structure,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 44(3), pages 462-487, 09.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn Klimek & Mark Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, Exit, and the Determinants of Market Structure," Working Papers 09-23, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, exit and the determinants of market structure," Working Paper 0907, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, Exit, and the Determinants of Market Structure," NBER Working Papers 15313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunne, Timothy & Klimek, Shawn D. & Roberts, Mark J. & Xu, Daniel Yi, 2013. "Entry, exit, and the determinants of market structure," Working Paper 2013-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Ho, Chun-Yu, 2012.
"A dynamic oligopoly game of the US airline industry: Estimation and policy experiments,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 156-173.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Ho, Chun-Yu, 2009. "A Dynamic Oligopoly Game of the US Airline Industry: Estimation and Policy Experiments," MPRA Paper 16739, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Chun-Yu Ho, 2008. "A Dynamic Oligopoly Game of the US Airline Industry: Estimation and Policy Experiments," Working Papers tecipa-337, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2007.
"Sequential Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 1-53, 01.
- M. Bourreau & P. Dogan, .
"Unbundling the Local Loop,"
33648, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Hori, Keiichi & Mizuno, Keizo, 2006. "Access pricing and investment with stochastically growing demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 795-808, July.
- Shane Greenstein & Michael Mazzeo, 2006. "THE ROLE OF DIFFERENTIATION STRATEGY IN LOCAL TELECOMMUNICATION ENTRY AND MARKET EVOLUTION: 1999-2002 -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 323-350, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.