Prevention of Competition by Competition Law: Evidence from Unbundling Regulation on Fiber-Optic Networks in Japan
AbstractThis paper finds that a regulation that promotes competition in one market may decrease competition in other related markets. Policy makers in the telecommunication industry currently are facing an important decision about whether to continue unbundling regulations on new optical-fiber lines. I find that unbundling regulation prevents new providers from building optical-fiber networks, by estimating a dynamic entry game with a dataset of fiber-optic network constructions in Japan from 2005 to 2009. In particular, when a new technology is introduced, unbundling regulation has an oligopolization effect on the regulated firms. This finding in the Japanese telecommunications industry suggests that unbundling regulation during periods of new technology diffusion may reduce the price of service but also decrease competition in the infrastructure market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University in its series ISER Discussion Paper with number 0804.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-03-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2011-03-12 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2011-03-12 (Network Economics)
- NEP-REG-2011-03-12 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2002.
"Swapping the Nested Fixed Point Algorithm: A Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1519-1543, July.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 1999. "Swapping the Nested Fixed-Point Algorithm: a Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 332, Society for Computational Economics.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2013.
"Entry, exit, and the determinants of market structure,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 44(3), pages 462-487, 09.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, exit and the determinants of market structure," Working Paper 0907, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, Exit, and the Determinants of Market Structure," NBER Working Papers 15313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunne, Timothy & Klimek, Shawn D. & Roberts, Mark J. & Xu, Daniel Yi, 2013. "Entry, exit, and the determinants of market structure," Working Paper 2013-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn Klimek & Mark Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, Exit, and the Determinants of Market Structure," Working Papers 09-23, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Ho, Chun-Yu, 2009.
"A Dynamic Oligopoly Game of the US Airline Industry: Estimation and Policy Experiments,"
16739, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Ho, Chun-Yu, 2012. "A dynamic oligopoly game of the US airline industry: Estimation and policy experiments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 156-173.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Chun-Yu Ho, 2008. "A Dynamic Oligopoly Game of the US Airline Industry: Estimation and Policy Experiments," Working Papers tecipa-337, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Shane Greenstein & Michael Mazzeo, 2006. "THE ROLE OF DIFFERENTIATION STRATEGY IN LOCAL TELECOMMUNICATION ENTRY AND MARKET EVOLUTION: 1999-2002 -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 323-350, 09.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2005.
"Unbundling the local loop,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 173-199, January.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2007.
"Sequential Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 1-53, 01.
- Hori, Keiichi & Mizuno, Keizo, 2006. "Access pricing and investment with stochastically growing demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 795-808, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.