Pseudo-Maximum Likelihood Estimation Of A Dynamic Structural Investment Model
AbstractThis paper belongs to the recent investment literature focused on the modelling of microeconomic investment decisions. The increasing concern about this topic is related to the growing availability of microeconomic datasets which show the investment behavior taking place at the firm level. This behavior is far from the smooth capital adjustment pattern derived from the traditional investment models. Rather it is characterized by infrequent and lumpy adjustment. New investment models must be considered to capture this behavior. In this paper we formulate a dynamic structural investment model with irreversibility and nonconvex adjustment costs and try to stress the importance of these costs in the firms' investment decisions. From the methodological point of view, we set the investment decision on the dynamic programming framework. More specifically, we consider a discrete choice dynamic programming problem in which firms decide to invest or not to invest. The estimation strategy we adopt is the Nested Pseudo-Likelihood (NPL) algorithm recently proposed by Aguirregabiria and Mira (2002). It is an estimation method which has clear advantages over previous techniques proposed in this context. Up to our knowledge, this paper constitutes the first empirical application of this estimation method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría in its series Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers with number ws026218.
Date of creation: Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Madrid, 126 - 28903 GETAFE (MADRID)
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/DEE/departamento.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CMP-2003-07-10 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-DCM-2003-07-10 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ECM-2003-07-12 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MAC-2003-07-10 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- César Alonso-Borrego & Rocío Sánchez-Mangas, 2001. "Gmm Estimation Of A Production Function With Panel Data: An Application To Spanish Manufacturing Firms," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws015527, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Oivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1996.
"Zeroes and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Non-Convexities,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
337., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2000.
- Øivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2003. "Zeros and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Nonconvexities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1021-1037, November.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2002.
"Swapping the Nested Fixed Point Algorithm: A Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1519-1543, July.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 1999. "Swapping the Nested Fixed-Point Algorithm: a Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 332, Society for Computational Economics.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor, 1999. "The Dynamics of Markups and Inventories in Retailing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(2), pages 275-308, April.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor, 2009. "Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games Using the Nested Pseudo Likelihood Algorithm: Code and Application," MPRA Paper 17329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pedro Mira & Victor Aguirregabiria, 2007.
"Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey,"
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Mira, Pedro, 2010. "Dynamic discrete choice structural models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 38-67, May.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro mira, 2007. "Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey," Working Papers tecipa-297, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- De Pinto, Alessandro & Nelson, Gerald C., 2004. "A Dynamic Model Of Land Use Change With Spatially Explicit Data," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20314, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.