Reconsidérer la fonction de PDR : problème urgent au niveau de la zone euro
[Rethinking the LOLR function: a new challenge for eurozone]
AbstractThe financial stability can not be achieved without the existence of a lender of last resort. The Bagehot rule is not always appropriate because the complexity of the financial systems increased and because the financial turbulences have nowadays a global impact. In this study we present the recent characteristics of the lender of last resort actions and we focus on the coordination problems arisen in Eurozone in respect of this subject. The European Central Bank has only a coordination role and the interventions of the National Central Banks are constrained by the status of European System of Central Banks. This means that the Eurozone financial systems are not really benefiting from this “safety net”. The set up of a harmonised intervention framework is necessary in order to be effective at Eurozone level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16583.
Date of creation: 15 Dec 2007
Date of revision: 29 Dec 2008
lender of last resort; moral hazard; Eurozone;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franco Bruni & Christian de Boissieu, 2000. "Lending of Last Resort and Systemic Stability in the Eurozone," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Prati, A. & Schinasi, G.J., 1999. "Financial Stability in European Economic and Monetary Union," Princeton Studies in International Economics 86, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Falko Fecht & Marcel Tyrell, 2004.
"Optimal Lender of Last Resort Policy in Different Financial Systems,"
- Fecht, Falko & Tyrell, Marcel, 2004. "Optimal lender of last resort policy in different financial systems," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,39, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Eric Tymoigne, 2006. "Asset Prices, Financial Fragility, and Central Banking," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_456, Levy Economics Institute.
- Lucía Cuadro Sáez & Sonsoles Gallego Herrero & Alicia García Herrero, 2003. "Why Do Countries Develop More Financially Than Others? The Role Of The Central Bank And Banking Supervision," Finance 0304006, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.