A model of adjustment and growth: An empirical analysis
AbstractThis paper develops a model merging the monetary approach to the balance of payments and a neoclassical growth model into a unified framework in which inflation, growth, and the balance of payments are simultaneously determined. The empirical part of the paper presents estimates of the key parameters of the model for a sample of seven diverse developing countries and tests the validity of a subset of the theoretical assumptions. The estimated model is then used for a variety of comparative static exercises, including the effects of f i s c a l and monetary policy changes, and devaluation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14101.
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
growth current account inflation IMF programs devaluation;
Other versions of this item:
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 1990. "A Model of Adjustment and Growth: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 168-182, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 1991. "A model of adjustment and growth: An empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 13233, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- E20 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Montiel, Peter & Haque, Nadeem U., 1990. "Adjustment with growth : Relating the analytical approaches of the IMF and the World Bank," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 155-179, January.
- Khan, Mohsin S, 1987. "Macroeconomic Adjustment in Developing Countries: A Policy Perspective," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 2(1), pages 23-42, January.
- Nicola Rossi, 1988. "Government Spending, the Real Interest Rate, and the Behavior of Liquidity-Constrained Consumers in Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 104-140, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1989.
"Private investment and economic growth in developing countries,"
13655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1990. "Private investment and economic growth in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Haque, Nadeem U & Montiel, Peter, 1989. "Consumption in Developing Countries: Tests for Liquidity Constraintsand Finite Horizons," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 408-15, August.
- Tyler, William G., 1981. "Growth and export expansion in developing countries : Some empirical evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 121-130, August.
- Balassa, Bela, 1978. "Exports and economic growth : Further evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 181-189, June.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Peter J. Montiel, 1989. "Growth-Oriented Adjustment Programs: A Conceptual Framework," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 279-306, June.
- Robinson, Sherman, 1971. "Sources of Growth in Less Developed Countries: A Cross-Section Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 391-408, August.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 1990. "“A Model of Adjustment and Growth," MPRA Paper 8145, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Q. Farooq Akram, 2010.
"Policy analysis in real time using IMF's monetary model,"
Working Paper, Norges Bank
2010/10, Norges Bank.
- Akram, Q. Farooq, 2011. "Policy analysis in real time using IMF's monetary model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1696-1709, July.
- Evia, José Luis, 1996. "Política Fiscal e Inversión Privada en Bolivia," Documentos de trabajo, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-EconÃ³micas (IISEC), Universidad CatÃ³lica Boliviana 6/1992, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.