On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living
AbstractThis paper explores the concept of city ranking as a way to measure the dynamics and complexities of urban life. These rankings have various dimensions and uses. Both the context in which these rankings are done and their nature have changed considerably over time. These rankings face many methodological and measurement problems. A review of major city rankings and the related literature is carried out to suggest a framework for the ranking of Pakistani cities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its series PIDE-Working Papers with number 2008:46.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Quality of Life; Cities; Urbanisation;
Other versions of this item:
- Hasan, Lubna Hasan, 2007. "On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living," MPRA Paper 6619, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Lubna, 2007. "On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living," MPRA Paper 7413, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lubna Hasan, 2008. "On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living," Microeconomics Working Papers 22194, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2008-07-05 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-GEO-2008-07-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HAP-2008-07-05 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-URE-2008-07-05 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siddiqui, Rizwana, 2007. "The role of household income and public provision of social services in satisfaction of basic needs in Pakistan: A cross district analysis," MPRA Paper 4409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rahman, Tauhidur & Mittelhammer, Ron C. & Wandschneider, Philip, 2005. "Measuring the Quality of Life across Countries: A Sensitivity Analysis of Well-being Indices," Working Paper Series RP2005/06, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gilles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2000.
"Nursery Cities: Urban diversity, process innovation, and the life-cycle of products,"
dpuga-00-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Gilles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2001. "Nursery Cities: Urban Diversity, Process Innovation, and the Life Cycle of Products," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1454-1477, December.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2000. "Nursery Cities: Urban Diversity, Process Innovation, and the Life-Cycle of Products," CEPR Discussion Papers 2376, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2000. "Nursery Cities: Urban Diversity, Process Innovation and the Life-Cycle of Products," CEP Discussion Papers dp0445, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- N. F. R. Crafts, 1997.
"Some Dimensions of the ‘Quality of Life’ During the British Industrial Revolution,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 50(4), pages 617-639, November.
- Nicholas Crafts, 1997. "Some dimensions of the 'quality of life' during the British industrial revolution," Economic History Working Papers 20349, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Nicholas Crafts, 1997. "Some Dimensions of the Quality of Life during the British Industrial Revolution," CEP Discussion Papers dp0339, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Haroon Jamal & Amir Jahan Khan & Imran Ashraf Toor & Naveed Amir, 2003. "Mapping the Spatial Deprivation of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 91-111.
- Sveikauskas, Leo A, 1975. "The Productivity of Cities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 393-413, August.
- John M. Quigley, 1998. "Urban Diversity and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 127-138, Spring.
- Jesse M. Shapiro, 2005. "Smart Cities: Quality of Life, Productivity, and the Growth Effects of Human Capital," NBER Working Papers 11615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Henry G. Overman & Anthony J. Venables, 2005.
"Cities in the developing world,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19887, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1901, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Veenhoven, Ruut, 2004. "Subjective Measures of Well-being," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Paul Bramston & Grace Pretty & Heather Chipuer, 2002. "Unravelling Subjective Quality of Life: An Investigation of Individual and Community Determinants," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 59(3), pages 261-274, September.
- Haroon Jamal & Salman Malik, 1988. "Shifting Patterns in Developmental Rank Ordering: A Case Study of the Districts of Sind Province," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 159-182.
- Haroon Jamal & Amir Jahan Khan, 2003. "The Changing Profile of Regional Inequality," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 113-123.
- Frederik Booysen, 2002. "An Overview and Evaluation of Composite Indices of Development," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 59(2), pages 115-151, August.
- Dionysia Lambiri & Bianca Biagi & Vicente Royuela, 2007.
"Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 1-25, October.
- B. Biagi & D. Lambiri & V. Royuela, 2006. "Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature," Working Paper CRENoS 200610, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- A. Türksever & Gündüz Atalik, 2001. "Possibilities and Limitations for the Measurement of the Quality of Life in Urban Areas," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 163-187, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.