The Changing Profile of Regional Inequality
AbstractThere is a growing concern in developing and transition economies that spatial and regional inequality, of economic activity, incomes, and social indicators, is on the increase. Regional inequality is a dimension of overall inequality, but it has added significance when spatial and regional divisions align with political and ethnic tensions to undermine social and political stability. Despite these important popular and policy concerns, surprisingly there is little systematic and coherent documentation of the facts of what has happened to spatial and regional inequality over the past twenty years. This paper is an attempt to meet this gap. It provides changing scenarios of multi-dimensional inter-temporal spatial inequality and level of development in Pakistan during early 1980s and late 1990s
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 42 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1986. "The Measurement and Decomposition of Multi-dimensional Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 991-97, July.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1989. "Continuously distributed attributes and measures of multivariate inequality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-144, September.
- Haroon Jamal & Salman Malik, 1988. "Shifting Patterns in Developmental Rank Ordering: A Case Study of the Districts of Sind Province," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 159-182.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Hirschberg, Joseph G. & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Slottje, Daniel J., 1991. "Cluster analysis for measuring welfare and quality of life across countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 131-150, October.
- Hasan, Lubna, 2007.
"On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living,"
7413, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lubna Hasan, 2008. "On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living," Microeconomics Working Papers 22194, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lubna Hasan, 2008. "On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living," PIDE-Working Papers 2008:46, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Hasan, Lubna Hasan, 2007. "On Measuring the Complexity of Urban Living," MPRA Paper 6619, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad Usman Sikander & Syed Ahsan Ahmad Shah, 2010. "Inter-District Inequalities in Social Service Delivery: A Rationalised Approach towards Funds Disbursement," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 49(4), pages 881â899.
- Hyder, Kalim & Sikander, Muhammad Usman, 2007. "Poverty, Income Distribution and Social Development in Lahore," MPRA Paper 30531, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2010.
- Aisha Ghaus-Pasha & Naeem Ahmed, 1999. "Pakistan’s Ranking in Social Development: Have We Always Been Backward?," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 739-754.
- Uzma Afzal, 2010. "The Unchanging Profile of Development: A Historical Study of the Punjab 1961–2008," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 49(4), pages 841â862.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.