Poverty, Income Distribution and Social Development in Lahore
AbstractIn this paper we present a comparative analysis of poverty and income inequality prevalent in the seven towns of Lahore. Further, an analysis of gender inequality and overall social development is presented by considering education, health, and labor market conditions. We have computed the Herfindahl Index, Gini Coefficient, ratio of share of income of the bottom 20% to the top 20% and Sen index in this study. Finally, a composite index of social development is estimated and on the basis of this, index ranking of each town is outlined. Nishter Town is the least socially developed town whereas Aziz Bhatti, Shalimar, and Allama Iqbal towns are less socially developed as compared to Ravi, Cantt and Gunj Buksh towns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30531.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision: Apr 2010
Publication status: Published in PAKISTAN BUSINESS REVIEW April.12(1)(2010): pp. 93-109
Poverty; Income distribution; Gini; Lorenz curve; Gender inequality; Social Development; Lahore; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I0 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haroon Jamal & Amir Jahan Khan, 2003. "The Changing Profile of Regional Inequality," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 113-123.
- Hirschberg, Joseph G. & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Slottje, Daniel J., 1991. "Cluster analysis for measuring welfare and quality of life across countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 131-150, October.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1989. "Continuously distributed attributes and measures of multivariate inequality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-144, September.
- Haroon Jamal & Salman Malik, 1988. "Shifting Patterns in Developmental Rank Ordering: A Case Study of the Districts of Sind Province," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 159-182.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.