Emerging Issues in Promoting Competition Policy in the APEC and ASEAN Countries
AbstractThis paper looks at the emerging issues and problems in promoting competition policy and coordinating its implementation under regional arrangements, particularly the APEC and the ASEAN. Implementing competition policy is a big challenge. As the review of country experiences shows, administrative, legal, political, and economic factors are important in the design and implementation of competition law and policy. The APEC experience illustrates that with the wide differences in the countries’ stage of socioeconomic development as well as in their legal institutions, countries have differed in their approaches to competition. In the ASEAN, difficulties in the development of competition policy are encountered due to the lack of a culture of competition and weak legal and regulatory infrastructures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2008-02 (revised).
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
competition policy; ASEAN; APEC countries;
Other versions of this item:
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2008. "Emerging Issues in Promoting Competition Policy in the APEC and ASEAN Countries," Microeconomics Working Papers 22049, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- K20 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - General
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ajit Singh, 2002.
"Competition and competition policy in emerging markets: international and developmental dimensions,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp246, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ajit SINGH, 2002. "Competition And Competition Policy In Emerging Markets: International And Developmental Dimensions," G-24 Discussion Papers 18, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.