The Accommodation Determinants of Seasonal Patterns
AbstractSeasonal demand variations represent a central theme not only in the academic literature on tourism, but also in the domains of policy-making and practical tourism management. The literature review shows that there is a general agreement that certain demand characteristics like weather, school holidays or special events influence the shape of the seasonality. In order to present an alternative vision, this work explores which are the supply determinants of seasonality related to the accommodation services. The Balearic Islands (Spain) are used as a typical Mediterranean destination where seasonality figures are extreme. Results of the study show that those establishments with a high level of services tend to have a larger opening period during the year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recerca Econòmica (UIB ·"Sa Nostra") in its series CRE Working Papers (Documents de treball del CRE) with number 2006/01.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision: Feb 2006
Publication status: Published in 'Documents de Treball CRE', February 2006, pages 1-14
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cre.sanostra.es
Accommodation; discrete choice models; seasonality;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2006-06-10 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-TUR-2006-06-10 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cellini, Roberto & Rizzo, Giuseppe, 2012.
"Private and public incentive to reduce seasonality: A theoretical model,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2012-16, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Cellini, Roberto & Rizzo, Giuseppe, 2012. "Private and public incentive to reduce seasonality: A theoretical model," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(43), pages 1-33.
- Petrevska, Biljana, 2013. "Investigating Tourism Seasonality In Macedonia," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 4(1), pages 37-44.
- Tiziana Cuccia, 2012. "Is it worth being inscribed in the world heritage list? A case study of “The Baroque cities in Val di Noto” (Sicily)," RIEDS - Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica - Italian Review of Economics, Demography and Statistics, SIEDS Societa' Italiana di Economia Demografia e Statistica, vol. 0(2), pages 169-190.
- Eugeni Aguiló & Belen Rey & Jaume Rosselló & Catalina M. Torres, 2007. "The Impact of the Post-Liberalisation Growth of LCCs on the Tourism Trends in Spain," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(1), pages 39-60, January-F.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Centre de Recerca Econòmica (UIB ·"Sa Nostra")).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.