Investigating Tourism Seasonality In Macedonia
AbstractThe main aim of the paper is to make an empirical investigation on tourism seasonality. Moreover, the research examines seasonal patterns in tourism in terms of tourist arrivals. In this line, the case of Macedonia is studied by employing the Gini coefficient and Seasonality Indicator, thus covering a time-frame of past two decades. The results reject the research hypothesis and point to conclusion of having low seasonality in tourism. Hence, this empirical evidence confirm that tourism flow distribution or concentration is not significant to tourism development. The contribution of this paper lies in the fact that disentangles the belief of having strong and notable high season during summer months. Additionally, this research may serve as a starting point for urging measures and activities for enhancing the up-to-date modest tourism development in Macedonia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia in its journal UTMS Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
tourism; seasonality; Gini coefficient; seasonality indicator.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Capó Parrilla & Antoni Riera Font & Jaume Rosselló Nadal, 2006. "The Accommodation Determinants of Seasonal Patterns," CRE Working Papers (Documents de treball del CRE) 2006/01, Centre de Recerca Econòmica (UIB ·"Sa Nostra"), revised Feb 2006.
- Petrevska, Biljana, 2012. "Forecasting International Tourism Demand: The Evidence Of Macedonia," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 3(1), pages 45-55.
- Kuan Xu, 2003. "How Has the Literature on Gini's Index Evolved in the Past 80 Years?," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive howgini, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zoran Ivanovic).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.