An Aggregate Import Demand Function for India: A Cointegration Analysis
AbstractThis paper investigates the behaviour of Indian aggregate imports during the period 1971-1995. In our empirical analysis of the aggregate import demand function for India, cointegration and error correction modelling approaches have been used. In the aggregate import demand function for India, import volume is found to be cointegrated with relative import price and real GDP. Our econometric estimates of the import-demand function for India suggest that import-demand is largely explained by real GDP, and is generally less sensitive to import price changes. Import liberalisation is found to have had little impact on import demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre in its series ASARC Working Papers with number 2001-02.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2004. "An aggregate import demand function for India: a cointegration analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 607-613.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 1999. "An aggregate import demand function for Bangladesh: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 465-472.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Carone, Giuseppe, 1996. "Modeling the U.S. demand for imports through cointegration and error correction," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Shahe Emran, M. & Shilpi, Forhad, 1996. "Foreign exchange rationing and the aggregate import demand function," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 315-322, June.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Dipendra Sinha & Tapen Sinha, 2000. "An aggregate import demand function for greece," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(2), pages 196-209, June.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Abdelhak Senhadji, 1998. "Time-Series Estimation of Structural Import Demand Equations: A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 236-268, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Santiago Grullón, 2012. "A Co-integration Analysis of the Dominican Republic‘s Aggregate Import Demand Function under a Floating Exchange Rate Regime," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(2), pages 282-289, June.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Rup Singh, 2007.
"Estimating export equations,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(11), pages 799-802.
- José Romero, 2010. "Evolución de la demanda de importaciones de México: 1940-2009," Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos 2010-03, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- Yoichi Matsubayashi & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009.
"Empirical analysis of import demand behavior of least developed countries,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1443-1458.
- Yoichi, Matsubayashi & Shigeyuki, Hamori, 2009. "Empirical Analysis of Import Demand Behavior of Least Developed Countries," MPRA Paper 17266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arslan Razmi, 2005. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Model: The Case of India," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2005-05, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Harb, Nasri, 2005.
"Import Demand in Heterogeneous Panel Setting,"
13622, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:2006.06 is not listed on IDEAS
- László Kónya & Jai Pal Singh, 2006.
"Exports, Imports and Economic Growth in India,"
2006.06, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.