An aggregate import demand function for Bangladesh: a cointegration approach
AbstractThis paper investigates the existence of a long-run aggregate merchandise import demand function for Bangladesh during the period 1974 - 94. The cointegration and error correction modelling approaches have been applied. Empirical results suggest that there exists a unique long-run or equilibrium relationship among real quantitities of imports, real import prices, real GDP and real foreign exchange reserves. The dynamic behaviour of import demand has been investigated by estimating two types of error correction models, in which the error correction terms have been found significant. In model I, real import prices and real GDP (lagged one year) and in model II, real import prices, real GDP (lagged one year), real imports (lagged one quarter) and a dummy variable capturing the effects of import liberalization policies have all emerged as important determinants of import demand function. The error correction models have also been found to be robust as they satisfy almost all relevant diagnostic tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arize, Augustine C. & Nippani, Srinivas, 2010. "Import demand behavior in Africa: Some new evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 254-263, August.
- Estefanía Mourelle & José Cancelo, 2009. "Nonlinearities and the Business Cycle in Spanish Imports: A Smooth Transition Regression Approach," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 245-259, May.
- Abdul, waheed & Syed tehseen, jawaid, 2010. "Inward foreign direct investment and aggregate imports: time series evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 31270, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsangyao Chang & Yuan-Hong Ho & Chiung-Ju Huang, 2005. "A Reexamination Of South Korea¡¯S Aggregate Import Demand Function: The Bounds Test Analysis," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 119-128, June.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2001.
"Trade Liberalisation and Industrial Growth in Pakistan: A Cointegration Analysis,"
ASARC Working Papers
2001-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2004. "Trade liberalization and industrial growth in Pakistan: a cointegration analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(13), pages 1421-1429.
- Vesile Kutlu & Nese Kavrukkoca, 2007. "Evaluating the Maastricht Convergence Criteria for New Prospective European Union Members," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 7(1), pages 13-26.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2004.
"An aggregate import demand function for India: a cointegration analysis,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 607-613.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2001. "An Aggregate Import Demand Function for India: A Cointegration Analysis," ASARC Working Papers 2001-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- M. Adetunji Babatunde & Festus O. Egwaikhide, 2010. "Explaining Nigeria's import demand behaviour: a bound testing approach," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 167-187, July.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:pjd_2003_vol._xxx_no._1-e is not listed on IDEAS
- Khurram Ashfaq Baluch & Syed Kalim Hyder Bukhari, 2012. "Price and Income Elasticity of Imports: The Case of Pakistan," Working Papers id:4899, eSocialSciences.
- Yoichi Matsubayashi & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009.
"Empirical analysis of import demand behavior of least developed countries,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1443-1458.
- Yoichi, Matsubayashi & Shigeyuki, Hamori, 2009. "Empirical Analysis of Import Demand Behavior of Least Developed Countries," MPRA Paper 17266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.