Effects of management control systems on commitment in inter-organizational relationships
AbstractThis paper analyses how ex-ante control mechanisms and management control information affect commitment in buyer-supplier relationships. Using survey data from 191 purchasing and sales managers of original equipment manufacturers, this study examines five characteristics of management control information (scope, timeliness, aggregation, integration and symmetry), and two dimensions of ex-ante control mechanisms (coordination and influence). The analysis shows differences between purchasing manager–supplier relationships and sales manager–industrial client relationships. In both dyads coordination and timeliness increase commitment; in the latter, broad scope and partner influence also affect commitment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Business Administration in its series Working Papers with number 08.03.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
Management control information sharing; control mechanisms; commitment.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-06-07 (Business Economics)
- NEP-KNM-2008-06-07 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Covaleski, Mark A. & Dirsmith, Mark W. & Samuel, Sajay, 2003. "Changes in the institutional environment and the institutions of governance: extending the contributions of transaction cost economics within the management control literature," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 417-441, July.
- Albert Satorra & Peter M. Bentler, 1999.
"A scaled difference chi-square test statistic for moment structure analysis,"
Economics Working Papers
412, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Albert Satorra & Peter Bentler, 2001. "A scaled difference chi-square test statistic for moment structure analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 66(4), pages 507-514, December.
- Spekle, Roland F., 2001. "Explaining management control structure variety: a transaction cost economics perspective," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 419-441.
- William G. Ouchi, 1979. "A Conceptual Framework for the Design of Organizational Control Mechanisms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(9), pages 833-848, September.
- Li, Suhong & Ragu-Nathan, Bhanu & Ragu-Nathan, T.S. & Subba Rao, S., 2006. "The impact of supply chain management practices on competitive advantage and organizational performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-124, April.
- Gietzmann, Miles B., 1996. "Incomplete contracts and the make or buy decision: Governance design and attainable flexibility," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 611-626, August.
- Bouwens, Jan & Abernethy, Margaret A., 2000. "The consequences of customization on management accounting system design," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 221-241, April.
- Yao, Dong-Qing & Yue, Xiaohang & Wang, Xiaoyin & Liu, John J., 2005. "The impact of information sharing on a returns policy with the addition of a direct channel," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 196-209, August.
- van der Meer-Kooistra, Jeltje & Vosselman, Ed G. J., 2000. "Management control of interfirm transactional relationships: the case of industrial renovation and maintenance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 51-77, January.
- Dekker, Henri C., 2004. "Control of inter-organizational relationships: evidence on appropriation concerns and coordination requirements," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 27-49, January.
- Hopwood, Anthony G., 1996. "Looking across rather than up and down: On the need to explore the lateral processing of information," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 589-590, August.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1983. "Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 519-40, September.
- Cooper, Robin & Slagmulder, Regine, 2004. "Interorganizational cost management and relational context," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-26, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Fernández).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.