The Corn Model, Gluts and Surplus Value
AbstractThe controversy over Ricardo`s corn model has focussed on the interpretation of his early writings. Here Ricardo`s later use of a corn model example in his dispute with Malthus over gluts is discussed. Malthus`s own extensive use of a corn model in attempting to justify his use of a labour commanded measure of value is analysed; it is shown that he calculates what Marx was to describe as surplus value from the physical conductions of production and the real wage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 194.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Ricardo; Malthus; Gluts; Exploitation;
Other versions of this item:
- Andrew Glyn, 2006. "The corn model, gluts and surplus value," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 307-312, March.
- B12 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Classical (includes Adam Smith)
- B14 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Socialist; Marxist
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costabile, Lilia, 1983. "Natural Prices, Market Prices and Effective Demand in Malthus," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 144-70, June.
- Heinz D. Kurz, 2002. "Interpreting Ricardo: a rejoinder to Peach," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 371-380, May.
- Terry Peach, 2002. "Interpreting Ricardo: a further reply to Sraffians," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 381-391, May.
- Meacci, Ferdinando, 2014. "Ricardo's and Malthus's common error in their conflicting theories of the value of labour," MPRA Paper 55948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.