Multiproduct firms and dumping
AbstractIn this paper, we first develop a model of an international oligopolistic Cournot industry in which firms trade core goods and their incompatible accessories. We then examine some issues concerned with dumping. We find that such firms set the core goods price below cost (below-cost dumping, henceforth) even under perfect competition. We also find that firms might simultaneously engage in both price-discriminating dumping in the market for accessories and below-cost dumping in the market for core goods. Furthermore, we demonstrate that antidumping tariffs on both core goods and accessories may expand the dumping margin in the accessories market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Otaru University of Commerce in its series ビジネス創造センターディスカッション・ペーパー (Discussion papers of the Center for Business Creation) with number 10252/1026.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 04 Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Discussion paper series (2008), 116: 1-25
Multiproduct firms; Closely related products; Dumping; Anti-dumping tariffs;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982.
"A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade,"
513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980. "A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade," Working Papers 405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Oi, Walter Y, 1971. "A Disneyland Dilemma: Two-Part Tariffs for a Mickey Mouse Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 77-96, February.
- Gruenspecht, Howard K., 1988. "Dumping and dynamic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 225-248, November.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M., 1995. "Price dumping in intermediate good markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 159-173, August.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Spencer, Barbara J., 1999.
"Rent-shifting export subsidies with an imported intermediate product,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 199-232, August.
- Jota Ishikawa & Barbara J. Spencer, 1996. "Rent-Shifting Export Subsidies with an Imported Intermediate Product," NBER Working Papers 5458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shy,Oz, 2001.
"The Economics of Network Industries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521805001.
- Davies, Stephen W. & McGuinness, Anthony J., 1982. "Dumping at less than marginal cost," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 169-182, February.
- Anderson, James E, 1992. "Domino Dumping, I: Competitive Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 65-83, March.
- Thusnelda Tivig & Uwe Walz, 2000. "Market share, cost-based dumping, and anti-dumping policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 69-86, February.
- Blackstone, Erwin A, 1975. "Restrictive Practices in the Marketing of Electrofax Copying Machines and Supplies: The SC M Corporation Case," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 189-202, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miura, Chiho).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.