Capital Flows and Growth in Developing Countries: Recent Empirical Evidence
AbstractAre capital inflows associated with faster income growth? There are a large number of empirical studies that identify the most relevant determinants of a country’s growth rate. However, this literature has not explored the growth impact of the various types of capital inflows. The present study analyses the effects of the different components of private capital inflows on the growth of 44 developing countries. A dynamic panel with yearly data is estimated during the 1986-97 period. After controlling for the variables traditionally used in growth regressions, the following main conclusions emerge. First, foreign direct investment and portfolio equity flows exhibit a robust positive correlation with growth. Second, portfolio bond flows are not significantly linked to economic growth. Finally, in economies with undercapitalised banking systems, bank-related inflows are negatively correlated with the growth rate. This result holds for both short- and long-term bank-related ... Les entrées de capitaux vont-elles de pair avec une accélération de la croissance des revenus ? Nombreuses sont les études empiriques qui identifient les principaux déterminants du taux de croissance d’un pays. Néanmoins, ces travaux n’ont pas étudié l’incidence sur la croissance des différents types d’entrées de capitaux. Ce Document analyse les effets sur la croissance des diverses composantes des entrées de capitaux privés pour 44 pays en développement. Une série dynamique de données annuelles est estimée sur la période 1986-97. Après neutralisation des variables généralement utilisées dans les régressions de croissance, plusieurs conclusions se dégagent : tout d’abord, l’investissement direct étranger et les prises de participation (flux de portefeuille en actions) sont corrélés de façon positive et robuste avec la croissance. Ensuite, les flux de portefeuille en obligations ne montrent pas de liens significatifs avec la croissance. Enfin, dans les économies dont le système ...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Development Centre Working Papers with number 160.
Date of creation: Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P., 1999. "Hot money, accounting labels and the permanence of capital flows to developing countries: an empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 337-364, August.
- Caselli, Francesco & Esquivel, Gerardo & Lefort, Fernando, 1996.
" Reopening the Convergence Debate: A New Look at Cross-Country Growth Empirics,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 363-89, September.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka & Chi-Wa Yuen, 1999.
"An Information-Based Model of Foreign Direct Investment: The Gains from Trade Revisited,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 579-596, November.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka & Chi-Wa Yuen, 1999. "An Information-Based Model of Foreign Direct Investment: The Gains from Trade Revisited," NBER Working Papers 6884, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E. & Yuen, C.-W., 1998. "An Information-Based Model of Foreign Direct Investment: the Gains from Trade Revisited," Papers 28-98, Tel Aviv.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Edwards, Sebastian & Valdes, Rodrigo O., 2000.
"Controls on capital inflows: do they work?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis? Part I: A Macroeconomic Overview," NBER Working Papers 6833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, January.
- Dani Rodrik & Andres Velasco, 1999. "Short-Term Capital Flows," NBER Working Papers 7364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Sumner & Meera Tiwari, 2005. "Poverty and economic policy: what happens when researchers disagree?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 791-801.
- Gholami, Roghieh & Lee, Sang-Yong Tom & Heshmati, Almas, 2003.
"The Causal Relationship between Information and Communication Technology and Foreign Direct Investment,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Roghieh Gholami & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Almas Heshmati, 2006. "The Causal Relationship Between Information and Communication Technology and Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 43-62, 01.
- Roghieh Gholami & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Almas Heshmati, 2010. "The Causal Relationship between Information and Communication Technology and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers id:3196, eSocialSciences.
- Kevin Cowan & Jose De Gregorio, 2005.
"International Borrowing, Capital Controls and the Exchange Rate: Lessons from Chile,"
NBER Working Papers
11382, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Cowan & José De Gregorio, 2007. "International Borrowing, Capital Controls, and the Exchange Rate: Lessons from Chile," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Controls and Capital Flows in Emerging Economies: Policies, Practices and Consequences, pages 241-296 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Cowan & Jose De Gregorio, 2005. "International Borrowing, Capital Controls and the Exchange Rate: Lessons from Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 322, Central Bank of Chile.
- Paula Neto & António Brandão & António Cerqueira, 2008. "The Impact of FDI, Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions and Greenfield Investments on Economic Growth," FEP Working Papers 291, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Theo S Eicher & Lindy Helfman & Alex Lenkoski, 2011.
"Robust FDI Determinants: Bayesian Model Averaging In The Presence Of Selection Bias,"
UWEC-2011-07-FC, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Eicher, Theo S. & Helfman, Lindy & Lenkoski, Alex, 2012. "Robust FDI determinants: Bayesian Model Averaging in the presence of selection bias," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 637-651.
- Heshmati, Almas & Kumbhakar, Subal C., 2010.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4784, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2010. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201054, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Feb 2010.
- Shiu, Alice & Heshmati, Almas, 2006.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Chinese Provinces: A Panel Data Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2133, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Shiu, Alice & Heshmati, Almas, 2006. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Chinese Provinces: A Panel Data Analysis," Ratio Working Papers 98, The Ratio Institute.
- Selin Sayek & Laura Alfaro & Areendam Chanda & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, 2003. "FDI Spillovers, Financial Markets and Economic Development," IMF Working Papers 03/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Hudea Caraman, Oana Simona & Stancu, Stelian, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investments, Technology Transfer and Economic Growth. A Panel Approach," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 85-102, June.
- Laureti, Lucio & Postiglione, Paolo, 2005. "The effects of capital inflows on the economic growth in the Med Area," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 839-851, October.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Pant, Manoj, 2003. "Why the case for a multilateral agreement on investment is weak," Kiel Discussion Papers 400, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Andrew van Hulten & Michael Webber, 2010. "Do developing countries need 'good' institutions and policies and deep financial markets to benefit from capital account liberalization?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 283-319, March.
- Ozturk, I., 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment – Growht Nexus: A Review of The Recent Literature," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2), pages 79-98.
- Dilli Raj Khanal & Prakash Kumar Shrestha, 2008. "Trade and investment linkages and coordination in Nepal: Impact on productivity and exports and business perceptions," Working Papers 5208, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.