Paying for the Fixed Costs of Roads
AbstractThis paper explores alternative financing mechanisms to pay for the fixed costs of roads, particularly in cases without rising marginal costs. Mechanisms considered include tolls, gas taxes, and developer payments. The problems with each are discussed. An example looking at problems of temporal and spatial free-riding is presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group in its series Working Papers with number 200505.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Transport Economics and Policy , Volume 39, Part 3, September 2005, pp. 279-294
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Dept. of Civil Engineering, 500 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: +01 (612) 625-6354
Fax: +01 (612) 626-7750
Web page: http://nexus.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Transportation financing; economics; toll roads; impact fees .;
Other versions of this item:
- R40 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - General
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fielding, Gordon J. & Klein, Daniel B., 1993. "How To Franchise Highways," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt79z9x6fs, University of California Transportation Center.
- Baer, Christopher T. & Klein, Daniel B. & Majewski, John, 1992. "From Trunk to Branch: Toll Roads in New York, 1800-1860," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt9pv183b2, University of California Transportation Center.
- Shanjiang Zhu & David Levinson, 2011. "The Hierarchy of Roads, the Locality of Traffic, and Governance," Working Papers 000097, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Levinson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.