Modeling and Measuring Russian Corporate Governance: The Case of Russian Preferred and Common Shares
AbstractThis paper examines governance explanations for the discount of preferred shares to common shares in the Russian market. conflicts between shareholder classes may help explain the discount. However, for this to be the sole explanation the estimated models suggest that the magnitude of future adverse shareholder events would have to be very high. Nevertheless, evidence of a common factor potentially related to governance seems evident in the date, implying that corporate control issues may at least be partially responsible for the observed preferred share discount
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 9469.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spiegel, Matthew, 1998. "Stock Price Volatility in a Multiple Security Overlapping Generations Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(2), pages 419-47.
- Levy, Haim, 1983. " Economic Evaluation of Voting Power of Common Stock," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 79-93, March.
- Horner, Melchior R., 1988. "The value of the corporate voting right : Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 69-83, March.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1995. "What Determines the Value of Corporate Votes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1047-73, November.
- Smith, Brian F. & Amoako-Adu, Ben, 1995. "Relative Prices of Dual Class Shares," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(02), pages 223-239, June.
- Muravyev Alexander, 2004.
"The Puzzle of Dual Class Stock in Russia. Explaining the Price Differential between Common and Preferred Shares,"
EERC Working Paper Series
04-07e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2004. "The puzzle of dual class stock in Russia: Explaining the price differential between common and preferred shares," MPRA Paper 27726, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Muravyev, 2007. "Dual Class Stock in Russia: What Explains the Price Differential between Common and Preferred Shares?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 680, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2009. "Investor Protection and the Value of Shares: Evidence from Statutory Rules Governing Variations of Shareholders' Class Rights in Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 4669, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexander Muravyev, 2009.
"Investor Protection and Share Prices: Evidence from Statutory Rules Governing Variations of Shareholders' Class Rights in Russia,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
865, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2009. "Investor protection and share prices: Evidence from statutory rules governing variations of shareholdersâ€™ class rights in Russia," MPRA Paper 13678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berezinets, Irina & Ilina, Yulia & Muravyev, Alexander, 2011. "CEO and Board Characteristics as Determinants of Private Benefits of Control: Evidence from the Russian Stock Exchange," IZA Discussion Papers 6256, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Muravyev, Alexander & Berezinets, Irina & Ilina, Yulia, 2012.
"ÐšÐ¾Ñ€Ð¿Ð¾Ñ€Ð°Ñ‚Ð¸Ð²Ð½Ñ‹Ðµ ÐšÐ¾Ð½Ñ„Ð»Ð¸ÐºÑ‚Ñ‹ Ð˜ ÐŸÐ¾Ð»Ð¸Ñ‚Ð¸ÐºÐ° Ð¤Ð¸Ñ€Ð¼ Ð’ ÐžÐ±Ð»Ð°ÑÑ‚Ð¸ Ð—Ð°Ð½ÑÑ‚Ð¾ÑÑ‚Ð¸ Ð˜ Ð—Ð°Ñ€Ð°Ð±Ð¾Ñ‚Ð½Ð¾Ð¹ ÐŸÐ»Ð°Ñ‚Ñ‹
[Corporate Governance Conflicts and Employment and," MPRA Paper 40215, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.